Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Advice for 1st Elk Bowhunt

HuntRH

After chasing whitetails for a number of years here in Mich, decided to try for elk. Going this Sept somewhere around Buffalo, WY.. Would sure appreciate any tips/advice on the hunt itself and also the Buffalo area. Thanks much.

Rick

Sweet! Good Luck on your first elk hunt, you should have a blast!

If I was going into an area I didn't know, I"d be ready to cover some serious ground to find elk, but a good topo can tell you pretty quickly where they are.....just depends on if you want to walk to them. If you are planning on hunting elk near the roads then it may take a little more time to "run into them" but hopefully you'll be in a good area.
One tip, if you are going to hunt near forest roads, spend a few hours after dark driving and listening off good vantage points, or get up extra early and do the same thing. Alot of folks hate to see/hear a guy bugle from a road, but you may give it a shot, especially at night, to get a good idea of where they are.

Do you know the area at all? Non guided right?

DON'T MISS! If you get a shot, concentrate on a spot on the animal. DON'T WATCH THE ANTLERS. Put everything out of your mind except making the shot. Worry about how the rack will look on your wall after the animal is on the ground.

:cool:

HuntRH, First off welcome to the Site, How'd you find it (I always Ask everyone).

Next, There isa Book we can Write on things to do. My biggest tip is Scent. But being a Whitetail hunter you probably know the Do's and Don'ts of Scent.

What specifically are you looking for ?

Moosie I actually was hanging around your board about 4-5 years ago when all these things were just getting going. Seems I remember alot of fighting and verbal attacks among people from some of those boards. It was interesting just to read some of that stuff. Anyway I live in the Upper Pen of Mich about 2 hrs west of another guy who used to hang around online. His handle then was Yooper I think.

Just looking for some general information really, most of what people have been pointing out is basic common sense stuff. Either you sort of know what they mean from past exerience or you've read it in some hunting mag. I think your comment on scent makes alot of sense. If we can locate some elk the biggest hurdle may be getting into archery range.

Heck if nothing else it beats working and the country is great. I do computer software type work so the hunt will be a welcome relief from that. Take care.

Rick

If you're an experienced bowhunter, you'll do well.

You know scent, shot placement, rut tactics etc.

My #1 recommendation would be to get 3 days worth of supplies and bivouac. The only thing limiting mobility is water. It's the ultimate way of finding elk. Often times the bulls bugle all night long and you can get with a 200 yards pre-dawn. At first light, cow call, if cow calling doesn't work, start some small-bull bugles.

elk hunt

huntrh, i used to live in buffalo, wy. what area did u get? i can send u a map if u would like, and mark some good spots for you!
the first thing i would do is go to www.elknut.com
and order his dvd's he is great at talking elk! i have hunted elk for many years, i live in wyoming and elk hunt every year! and i never new anyone who can understand elk words like elknut. highly reconmend his dvd's. it could be the differance in getting archery close! :eek: pm if needed!

huntrh,

My biggest suggestion is be prepared. Elk are huge animals and are a load to pack of the hills before they spoil. Make sure you have help or access to horses. Especially if you're going to pack in a ways. #2 suggestion would be to get a hoochie momma made by Primos. Easiest call to use and makes a good sounding elk mew. Again good luck and be ready for anything.

IB

Here is something thats REALLY different from whitetails.

Noise, when you are calling, dont worry about kicking a rock or making other sounds (just not people sounds) If you have to run to get in position or cover soume ground quickly, its no big deal because traveling elk make LOTS of noise.

Cover. Get in front of the cover so your shot will not be limited to one or two openings. Its rare for you to get busted like with a white-tail.

Dont be to conservative and worry about in close. GO FOR IT!

Have a blast, its an adventure that can get in your blood :D

You think White tails are skittish when they smell human scent, let an elk get ahold of it....

Also, don't push them at all, they don't seem to be botherd with moving house 5 miles as the crow flies on the assumption your after them... :)

Moosie I actually was hanging around your board about 4-5 years ago when all these things were just getting going. Seems I remember alot of fighting and verbal attacks among people from some of those boards. It was interesting just to read some of that stuff. Anyway I live in the Upper Pen of Mich about 2 hrs west of another guy who used to hang around online. His handle then was Yooper I think.

Fighting is all out of love now :D. I do wonder about "Yooper" hope all is well with him. But forthe rest of them, We try to forget the past............

I live out East but LOVE archery hunting elk. Lots of good points here. Especially when you compare hunting whitetails to hunting teh Rockies. The hardest thing for me to get used to was the fact that you do NOT have to bury yourself in cover.........but rather stay in front of it as pointed out in a previous post. I also stick to cow calls 99% of the time. The bugles look great in the vids BUT almost every time i use them the bulls would round up their cows & take them up up & away. But if I was in close enough (within 100-150 yards) they would respond in a challenging manor. That is how this boy bit it LOL.

Bill-CO-Elk-02A.jpg

But with all the advice I've seen I am surprised no one mentioned getting the old cardio system up to speed. You can't kill what you you can't get to. Living at 1100 feet and then hunting 11,000 ft takes it's toll on the body. If you do not work out your cardio system months in advance you are hindering yourself as much as you would if you did not practice with your bow. JUst getting into the position where you can start hunting elk is 75% of the battle. Only then can you put your hunting skills to work. So get those legs & lungs burning WELL in advance of your hunt. Good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back