Adventures of Gunner and Moosie......

Despite the millions of calls sold and used around the country, Moosie has now decided that calling doesn't work.

I also get Millions on Millions of Penile enlagement Emails and Non of them work..... :(

MtMiller, We floated 2 times last year with a Canoe and Limited out both times.... this time with a Cat it was harder to tuck in but we faired ok.....

Gunner, I was born in Boise, but moved to WY a few months later. Kinda making a circle and may make it back someday. :D

I tend to agree with Oscar on the calling. Maybe it is because I suck calling, but most of the time I don't need it if I am in a place where the birds want to be. Not to say that it never works as I have turned some birds that were headed elsewhere. Maybe it is because most of the birds are pretty naive this far north (minimal pressure on the migration routes), but I think many times calling is unnecessary.

I hunt occasionally with a guy that is a much better duck hunter than me and he doesn't agree. He also thinks the more decoys the better (guess that got me in on a few hunts as he needed the help setting up and picking up). :D

I always give him a hard time when I throw out 10 decoys and fill before him. :D Most of the places I hunt early season are not easy to get to because of shallow water and muddy conditions. With his big boat (to carry all those decoys) he is limited to the areas he can get to.

This year I did get him to hunt one of these areas, but he was slow getting there. The sun was already above the horizon when he located me sitting out in the open. He was wondering why I wasn't hunting and cussed when he found out I limited out during the first 7 minutes. :D Doesn't happen very often, but nice when it does.

Be where the birds want to be (baiting really pays off) ;)

Looking forward to more hunt stories from you guys. :D

Like I said previously, when I go hunting, it is for mallards, not teal. I was eating my doughnut and did not see any reason to interrupt a nice raspberry filled doughnut with any duck killing.

The Mergansers were pretty fun to watch, and when the one came up with a fish, I thought that was pretty cool too. But Moosie says we should take 'em. I ask him if he is sure, and he is, cuz he needs one for the Moosie Waterfowl Museum. Just as he says to take them, they both line up for me, and before he can even shoot, I drop both of them in a single shot.

I jump up, run into the water and grab the first one to throw to him on the bank, as he was worried about getting cold and wet. I grabbbed the first one by the tail, and as I threw it, the entire tail section is pulled out and stayed in my glove. Knowing that Mooise wanted these for taxidermy reasons, I was more careful with the 2nd Merganser.

We laughed about how his retriever was a bit hard on the ducks....

As for the calling, sometimes I think they need attention or assurance. I think overcalling is a problem, but at least we should have the option.....

The funny thing was all the ducks that did land were downstream from us.

15 years is about 3 Rods when refered to in a Linear Distance.... A rod Being 16.5' or 1/4th or a Chain. (A Chain being an Onld English Surveyors Unit.) If you don't believe me ... google it .

Not hunting teal ? When they flew by and You were like.. What are those, and I told you teal, you said "those are pretty birds". the only other time I heard you say that was when the Wood duck flew out from the Trees,,,,,,,, :D

:) NP, you owe me one.

As "Being in the Profession , Whats the Tollerance on Land closure for a Boundry ? :D

OHHH and here is another picture :

2_935798.jpg

As a surveyor I'm suprised Moosie got this sh!t right! A chain is 66 feet or 4 rods. (Rod being the same as a pole).

Moosie said:
15 years is about 3 Rods when refered to in a Linear Distance.... A rod Being 16.5' or 1/4th or a Chain. (A Chain being an Onld English Surveyors Unit.) If you don't believe me ... google it .

Not hunting teal ? When they flew by and You were like.. What are those, and I told you teal, you said "those are pretty birds". the only other time I heard you say that was when the Wood duck flew out from the Trees,,,,,,,, :D

..the only thing prettier than a wood duck is a mud hen. :D

When we finally decided to load up and head downstream, we got about 250 yards and started jumping Mallards. Including one that Moosie was able to shoot. There may have been another duck or two, and pretty soon we were at the take-out.

About then, we decided, lets do 8 more miles (we had just done 3), so we pull the boat out of the water, drive up and get the other pick-up, drive it to the downstream take-out 8 mile farther, and grab some burritos and pizza sticks from the deli counter at the grocery store/gas station. My feet were starting to warm, and the temp was up to 22....

We get back to the boat, and we decided not to have so much crap with us. So Moosie says we should only take one gun..... He says we should leave my gun in the truck..... :eek:

Off we go.... again.... this is now afternoon, so our AM hunt is already a bit late....

We get back to the boat, and we decided not to have so much crap with us. So Moosie says we should only take one gun..... He says we should leave my gun in the truck.....

why doesnt that suprise me...

Delw

Moosie says: As "Being in the Profession , Whats the Tollerance on Land closure for a Boundry ?

Fowladdict says: The error of closure cannot be greater than one part for every five thousand parts. So basically every foot can be off by 0.0002'.

Just being a smarta$$.

thats a Title Company for ya Cali :)

"So basically every foot can be off by 0.0002'."

NOONE can Close somethnig that tight........

Delw, I though, since Gunners Idea of having his gun in the boat meant Keeping it in a Zipped Scabbard and having "2" tiedowns arounds it so it doesn't fall that the need to actually Have it with us in a JUMP SHOOT sinario wasn't all that helpfull. But hey, Maybe it would have been..... :D

So we keep floating down the River and We see 2 ducks Slip into this cove. the cove has a Million dollar house with a Dock on it. We get closer and these ducks come Barrleing out. As they were a little to far I let them fly. then, as we got closer a Wood duck came out of the Bushes/trees and I tried to lay it down but unfrtunately Gunner kept Rocking the Boat in Excitement of seeing a Wood duck that I missed al shots. the cool thing was looking over at the House and the Guy that lived there looking out ofthe Window. I'm guessing he fed the Duck as there were bird feeders and a Wood duck box house there... OOPS :) I'm guessing he wasn't our biggest fan......

So we see this Other duck swim out trying to dive. It was a Woonded Golden eye.... Not wanting to water sluice it toward the House with a Guy watching we positioned the Boat over this 1/2 dving duck and finally it came up (About the 50th time) and Gunner grabbed it and We dispatched it and put it in the cooler...... Kudos for Catching a "lame" Duck, Gunner. :D

Moosie says: "So basically every foot can be off by 0.0002'."
NOONE can Close somethnig that tight........

Fowl says: sure they can...do the math a typicall 70X100' lot has 340 linear feet. Multiply that x .0002' and you get an error of 7 hundredths. And that actually is way too much of an error in my book. If it is more than 0.02' I figure there is an error somewhere.

Anyways...duck huntin is cool dude!

Chit guys its been 3 days of posts telling us about 1/2 of an 8 hour duck hunt? Talk about milking it! Alright, milking it may not have been the best choice of words around this bunch..........

BUUUAhahahaha.. Chit, I got busy today and forgot about finishing it.... Let me finish it....... tonight... :D :D

WOW! Sounds like the duck hunting is better than the time I was there!!! Must be nice to have rivers...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back