Advancement in Hunting equipment

DeerKing

What do you think have been some of the best innovations and advancements in hunting equipment in the past 25-30 years? I think the use of Goretex and some of the other fabrics in hunting clothes has helped greatly. Rangefinders and GPS units? Others?

How about mapping softwares, arial photography allowing scouting to be done before being out in the field. Archery equipment I think has evolved at a much higher rate than firearms. Not to forget the computer that allows us to read and share more info than anything else.

The 4 wheeler has to be the biggest advancement or should I say "scurge" the hunting world has seen in modern time!

Global positioning devices, optics, improved camo clothing including boots, hunting forums.

Lots of great thing already mentioned, I think another thing that has progressed are the game calls. Anyone who hunted elk in the 60's and 70's know what I'm talking about.(whistle) Diaphagms, electronic predator callers, double clucker goose calls...on and on...

TV shows, i remember watching "RED FISHER" i believe, with my dad when i was a kid. now there are a ton off good outdoor shows showing all the newest gear. Bastards. i remember carring an 8lb bow and a knife, now i carry a 4lb bow and a 20lb backpack. and its all "thier" fault....LOL

The internet and the forums on them. if you can read the stories you can get tons of knowledge off of other hunters out there. Faster and better knowledge from geniune hard core hunters. Years ago the only thing I would hear is the old timers talking and learned lots from them but when you get alot of knowledge together then is easier and faster to get input on questions.

There really are a ton of things that would fit the bill...
Another would be the advancement of plastics. Since the 70's it has been on nothing but a skyrocket climb up.
Almost every thing we carry out into the field now has some high teck plastic in it or on it in one form or another. Including pretty much every thing mentioned above. :)

One that has made the biggest impact in my neck of the woods is In line Muzzleloaders.

Still called a "primitive Season" here but these shoot 2-4 times as far and more accurate than the Slug Guns that we're limited to during the regular "gun season".

I have a buddy that shoots one Ultimate Firearms. I've seen him hold a 4" group at 350 yards with it:eek:

Legislation pending revising the "rules and regs" section of the NY state season to only allow "sidelock or flintlock" to be used for the primitive season.

Michigan may not be far behind...

Calssic case of technology advancement changing the way we hunt.

The widespread use of shooting sticks has probably helped people's shooting ability more than anything. I know some people have made their own for a long time, but it really seems that in the last ten years that actual portable, easy to use ones have been commercially made. Simple, but they really do help. Obviously GPS has made a lot of people more comfortable in getting farther back in the woods. In general, the development of really lightweight hunting gear has also made a big difference.

how about scents and attractents. I remember when the old timers would pull out a bottle of fox pee and dump it on themselves. right idea, but we have came a long ways since then.

While you all have mentioned items that most would agree have improved the hunting experience, let's not forget perhaps the most historic development of all --- the compound bow ...

Lv2hnt

I think the factor that has improved hunting the most for me is definitely the internet..

I remember researching hunts the old way...Word of mouth, searching in the backs of sporting magazines, calling Fish & Game Depts., calling references, and on and on, and STILL it was a crapshoot as to whether you were going to have a quality experience...

In the last ten years, I have set up several hunts using ONLY the infomation that I got from the hunting forums, and I haven't been disappointed in one of them...

Add to that the daily pleasure that I get from reading and participating in these forums and all of the good friends that I have made on the forum and all of the technical and tactical knowledge that I have gained from people on forums like this one..

This medium is by FAR the most important improvement in MY hunting in the last 30 years...

Yep, and high tech plastics play an integral part to almost every one of the above posts... :)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back