MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

adivice for soldier creek 109 hunt area WY

dirt napping

i am planing on hunting the three last days of the Area 109 hunting season. i have never hunted antelopes before but i am a experianced whittail hunter i have my mind set on soldier creek because it lines up with the dates for thanksgiving break i am planing on me and my son so its when he has time off school. we are both plaing on using 3006s if anyone has any advice its much apprecited.

Welcome to the forum. I have not hunted that unit, but that time of year, the antelope should be pretty grouped up and some bucks will likely be shedding their horns.

Welcome dirt napping. I have used a .270 or .30-06 with several types of ammo brands (usually 130 grain range) with no issues on antelope for several years. Currently using the Nosler Accubonds. Several good threads on antelope hunting here on HT.

NEWHunter has a good point; by late November many (most) of the buck antelope will have lost their horn sheaths so buck hunting that time of the year can be counterproductive.

ClearCreek

While not most, certainly some of the bucks will have dropped. The others may well have the horn sheaths pull off in your hands which really isn't a bad thing, they must be removed for a euro or mount anyway.
They should be in very large herds by then and can be quite tricky to get close to, tons of eye balls looking at you.
Not quite into wintering mode yet where they will let you approach closely, but you may get lucky in that they have settled down for winter.
You'll likely see lots of pronghorn though, most areas with Nov. seasons are wintering areas and the animals will be migrating in.
Talk with the biologist of GW up there and make sure you won't be too late, if they migrate out.

Welcome dirt napping. I have used a .270 or .30-06 with several types of ammo brands (usually 130 grain range) with no issues on antelope for several years. Currently using the Nosler Accubonds. Several good threads on antelope hunting here on HT.
Thanks for the info I also have another question were I live in wv most shots that are far are to 150 200yards what kinda shots am I looking at out there

While not most, certainly some of the bucks will have dropped. The others may well have the horn sheaths pull off in your hands which really isn't a bad thing, they must be removed for a euro or mount anyway.
They should be in very large herds by then and can be quite tricky to get close to, tons of eye balls looking at you.
Not quite into wintering mode yet where they will let you approach closely, but you may get lucky in that they have settled down for winter.
You'll likely see lots of pronghorn though, most areas with Nov. seasons are wintering areas and the animals will be migrating in.
Talk with the biologist of GW up there and make sure you won't be too late, if they migrate out.
W
Will they be in higher hills overlooking or more in draws between

They like to see what's coming at them but we've found them tucked into draws as well. Kinds if depends if they are in wintering mode or not.
We hunt an area that goes until Nov. 14. Hunted it once last week of season. Found large groups and some were still very wary and some groups were just there to winter and not move unless they had to.
The buck I took was wounded, another consideration forgot to mention. That late in season watch for wounded animals. They will likely trail behind the group or be one of the last followers.

wytex:
I hunt in Johnson Co. and by mid-November, when we are hunting white-tailed deer, we see a lot of buck antelope that have shed their horn sheaths. The OP was asking about the last three days of the season in 109 which would be November 28, 29 and 30. That is very late for antelope bucks to have both horn sheaths.

ClearCreek

Yes perhaps, but we have seen bucks still sporting horns into December this year, however not in that area.
I will defer to you on that.
Best advice comes from those in the area, ClearCreek probably has the right info.

The times I have been to that area I have never seen antelope on the soldier Creek. There are usually a lot of people out there target/recreational shooting. Maybe that late in November it will be too cold for that activity and some goats will be around, but I would be surprised. Area seemed devoid of goats to me. The 109 tag suckers a lot of people. There is a reason why there are so many leftover tags every year. Without access to private it's very tough.

Thanks for the info I also have another question were I live in wv most shots that are far are to 150 200yards what kinda shots am I looking at out there

I haven't hunted it, so kinda hard to say. We hunt by climbing ridges and glassing the available country. As Wytex said, they could be tucked into draws to get out of the wind, so plan your stalks to cut the distance. Knowing my limits and depending on how had the wind is blowing, I'll try to cut the distance to less than 300 before considering a shot.

dirt napping:

There are some antelope killed on the Soldier Creek Hunter Management Area (HMA) each year. Probably not a lot, but there are some.

Your question regarding whether the antelope may move off the HMA later in the season can best be answered with, "it depends". Like most big game species weather can be one of the main reasons that animals move to a different area. If there is some snow and cold weather (by late November there will be a good chance of this) the antelope will tend to move off the HMA and end up on the hay fields (private lands) along Soldier Creek.

ClearCreek

The times I have been to that area I have never seen antelope on the soldier Creek. There are usually a lot of people out there target/recreational shooting. Maybe that late in November it will be too cold for that activity and some goats will be around, but I would be surprised. Area seemed devoid of goats to me. The 109 tag suckers a lot of people. There is a reason why there are so many leftover tags every year. Without access to private it's very tough.
i am stuck here because its the only area that lines up with the schedule i have do you know any places that might have better hunting that time of year. but thanks for the info!

dirt napping:

There are some antelope killed on the Soldier Creek Hunter Management Area (HMA) each year. Probably not a lot, but there are some.

Your question regarding whether the antelope may move off the HMA later in the season can best be answered with, "it depends". Like most big game species weather can be one of the main reasons that animals move to a different area. If there is some snow and cold weather (by late November there will be a good chance of this) the antelope will tend to move off the HMA and end up on the hay fields (private lands) along Soldier Creek.

ClearCreek

what kind of weather am i seeing in wyoming that time of year in wv we only get to the 30 to 40 not much wind because of all the hills but thats what we get that time of year. But thanks for the info!

I'm sure you've thought through all this, but what about a cow elk hunt instead? Tags are cheaper and with what others are saying about the antelope dropping their sheaths a cow hunt my be more productive that time of year.

wytex:
I hunt in Johnson Co. and by mid-November, when we are hunting white-tailed deer, we see a lot of buck antelope that have shed their horn sheaths. The OP was asking about the last three days of the season in 109 which would be November 28, 29 and 30. That is very late for antelope bucks to have both horn sheaths.

ClearCreek
what would you opion be would you buy a doe tag or do you think with them grouping up so much i will be able to find one i am planing on shooting any horns since it is my first time. thanks for the info!

I'm sure you've thought through all this, but what about a cow elk hunt instead? Tags are cheaper and with what others are saying about the antelope dropping their sheaths a cow hunt my be more productive that time of year.
that is a very good point

that is a very good point
The non resident elk application deadline has already passed, but there is a left over draw in in late June that always has a fair amount of cow tags. Usually a surplus of tags in units with difficult public access, but you could always find a ranch to hunt on if needed.

what kind of weather am i seeing in wyoming that time of year in wv we only get to the 30 to 40 not much wind because of all the hills but thats what we get that time of year. But thanks for the info!

dirt napping:

This may seem like a cop-out answer to your question, but it depends on the year. Most years we have had a snow or three by late November. There could be snow on the ground or it may have melted. The high temps could be in the 40's to mid-60's or it could be 20 below zero. You would just have to prepare for most any weather. Have layers so you can add or take off clothes as the weather during the day dictates.

Also, bcar mentioned a cow elk license and said, "you could always find a ranch to hunt on if needed" Actually finding private land to hunt cow elk is not that easy. For a nonresident there most likely would be a trespass fee. Be careful about getting one of the "left over" licenses if you have not secured a place to hunt on private land.

Elk Hunt Area 38 has, in past years, only had 50 Type 6 licenses that are valid until December 31 and these licenses are not valid of the Bighorn National Forest or the Kerns or Amsden Wildlife Habitat Management Areas. These licenses are typically all issued in the draws, none are left over to be purchased at a later date.

Elk Hunt Area 37 has, in the past, had 700 Type 6 (cow or calf) licenses that are valid until December 31 in the entire hunt area. However, by late November a lot of the elk will have moved off the national forest onto private land where the access is difficult.

good luck,

ClearCreek

Back