Caribou Gear Tarp

Adding weight

jerm8352

Just got some new Black Eagle Spartan arrows for hunting in Wy. The will be about 460 grains with broad heads. I was thinking of adding a 50 or 75 grain brass weight to the front to improve FOC. How much of a pain is this to do? I am new to archery and know I would have to invest in a few tools to do this but was wondering how much of a hassle it would be add the inserts? Thanks in advance.

Are your inserts hot melt glued? If so, screw in a field point heat it until glue comes loose then swap out heavier insert system.
Do you know if your inserts have threads in the back? You can add that way if you do. A special tool is needed and some loktite once you find the weight you want.
Bigger broadheads...they get huge

Black eagle sells screw in weights for the Spartan arrows. A special tool aka a really long Allen wrench is needed. A pro shop might be able to install some for you. It's really easy you just take out the mock and run the weight in and screw it in.

Why mess with pulling the inserts? Pull the nock and slide 50 grains of weed eater line down the shaft. Kink it a few times to keep it from rattling and you’re all set.
Remember to retune you bow no matter how you add the weight.

Why mess with pulling the inserts? Pull the nock and slide 50 grains of weed eater line down the shaft. Kink it a few times to keep it from rattling and you’re all set.

If he wants to improve foc, I think a heavier insert and/or broadhead will do that better than weed eater line. Interesting idea for adding overall weight though.

old school right there. From back when we had to do stuff ourselves and everything wasn’t just run out and buy the latest greatest. 👍🏻

Black eagle sells screw in weights for the Spartan arrows. A special tool aka a really long Allen wrench is needed. A pro shop might be able to install some for you. It's really easy you just take out the mock and run the weight in and screw it in.
I think this is the way I want to go. I am pretty new to archery but want to do as much myself as I can, (that's what I try to do in all aspects of my life!). I know I need the special allen wrench but other than that do I need anything else to take out and reinstall the nocks? Do I need glue or anything for the threads on the insert weights? Thanks for all the replies!!!!

If he wants to improve foc, I think a heavier insert and/or broadhead will do that better than weed eater line. Interesting idea for adding overall weight though.
Upping the FOC may result in not being able to tune the arrow flight. I’d much rather have a perfect tuned arrow than heavy FOC with marginal tune. JMO.

Upping the FOC may result in not being able to tune the arrow flight. I’d much rather have a perfect tuned arrow than heavy FOC with marginal tune. JMO.

It could also fly great with increased foc. I was just saying if he wants to experiment with higher foc he has to apply the weight to the front.

It could also fly great with increased foc. I was just saying if he wants to experiment with higher foc he has to apply the weight to the front.
It might but you can change point weight easier than pulling inserts. Depending on how they’re installed, you can ruin carbon arrows pretty quick.

It might but you can change point weight easier than pulling inserts. Depending on how they’re installed, you can ruin carbon arrows pretty quick.

Correct, i mentioned both points and inserts in post #5. Pulling inserts isn’t that hard, but no reason to if adding point weight gets you where you want to be.

So if you add 50-75 additional grains of weight you might very well need to run a stiffer spine shaft, depending of course on what your current specs are (current spine, draw length, draw weight, shaft length, point/insert weight). Also, if you play with more FOC remember to test your new setup with broadheads before you commit to the heavier front-end because it will weaken your spine, which will affect broadhead flight FAR more than field tip flight. It is very possible that you get solid field tip flight and horrendous broadhead flight, which of course would suck for hunting.

Correct, i mentioned both points and inserts in post #5. Pulling inserts isn’t that hard, but no reason to if adding point weight gets you where you want to be.
So how do you recommend pulling inserts that have been epoxied in or the proper super glue used?

So how do you recommend pulling inserts that have been epoxied in or the proper super glue used?

Why would you use a glue or epoxy that can’t be removed? I’ve inserted and carefully heated a field tip to break heat-sensitive glues, and have heard of several weird tricks for removing stuck inserts on other forums. Putting a drill bit down the shaft and swinging it until the glue loosens comes to mind as an example.

The short (preferred) answer is to use one the several glues that break with heat. I’m sure several epoxies could anchor an insert strongly enough that it’s about impossible to remove, but why do that? Not looking for a pissing match. Keep playing with weed eater string if that’s your thing.

I don’t use weed eater string, I know how to build my arrows so they tune, have a good FOC and fly like they’re supposed to.
FIY, heating a point screwed into the insert in a carbon arrow can damage the arrow. Too much heat on carbon is not a good thing.

Having the proper FOC weight is important
But also having a very well tuned bow set up is more important ! IMO I dont change things just for more FOC weight is my energy is well over whats needed for what im hunting and my arrows are flying like darts with broadheads on
Just saying
If you want to experiment buy a 1/2 dozen arrows and add subtract what you want on one at a time and find whats best for your set up

What’s your draw length/weight, arrow length/spine? The reason I ask is because adding an additional 75grains to the front will likely weaken your arrow depending on the other factors listed and require you to get new arrows if not if it will likely fly like crap and then you’re back to square one

29.5 draw length. 65ish draw weight. 28.5 in arrows with 300 spine.
I personally think you will be just fine adding 50-100 grains at that draw weight and arrow length. They might actually tune better for you. I shoot a 300 spine arrow at 29.5" with my 30.5" draw at 290fps and they fly amazing. It has 50 grains up front with a 100 grain head.

And to answer your earlier question removing nocks is easy as pulling on them. When reinstalling just push them in the push the against a table to seat them all the way. Don't put glue on nocks but I would put some purple or blue loctite on the threads of the weight then screw it in tight. And most screw in weights have a threading in the back so you can add weight incrementally so you can really fine-tune your setupn.
One thing to remember also is the more point weight the slower your arrow. A slow arrow will be less finicky to fixed blade broadhead flight. For beginners especially I would recommend an arrow speed less than 280 because I've found above that your form becomes very very critical to good fixed blade flight.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back