PEAX Equipment

Add to the story as you wish…..

kansasdad

As the thread title suggests, I’m going to start a hunting tale. Make it up or keep it factual, the next poster adds as he or she wills. One paragraph and a photo should just about carry our tale along………

At the designated parking area for the wildlife area, I placed my binos and bow on the roof of my SVU. Alongside the car is my pack and shooting sticks. I’ll remember to put those sticks in pack in just a bitty bit. Anyone want to guess where those sticks are now as I sit down at my ambush spot??

226DE698-8CB6-450E-94BE-685CDAD4D403.jpeg
The deer have been coming out at sunset, give or take 3 minutes every night I’ve been out this fall. Right on command, here it comes…..but this time it’s not the right kind of “ Deere”

Next Friday night I thought I’d set up on the south side of the cut cornfield. Hazard a guess as to where the right kind of deer are crossing to feed on tonight?

Approaching the ambush spot, I decide that even though I’ve done what I can to reduce scent, I should presume that any deer coming from behind me will have smelled me and vamoosed long before it would be in archery range.

I also decide to ignore the sound of leaves crunching until there was no denying that a large something was walking slowly closer.

Turning the wrong direction for a righty, I saw the BIG whitetail buck. I contemplated trying a left handed crossbow shot, but waited for him to walk behind a cedar tree to try to swivel around. Safety off, I shouldered the bow, and was left waiting for him to walk into the clear. Reappearing beyond the cedar he was at 45 yards and moving. Tall grass and shrubs covered the lower half of his body, but my attention was directed upwards to his glowing rack.

The largest whitetail headgear I’ve ever seen on the hoof……and he was nonchalantly strolling directly upwind up the hedgerow.

I held my breath, trying not to shake from excitement.. what an opportunity!

The monster stopped dead in his tracks, eyes and ears searching, aware of something... Was it my presence he detected?

He stood as still as I imagined I was, waiting for... Was that a sound?... The sharp, short snap of a stick breaking.

The buck quickly and silently turned his head a fraction of an inch to the side... Something was there. He lowered his magnificent head toward the ground, almost eagerly, briefly flitting his tail as if to challenge, knowing what was in store for him...

Oh no, I pooped my pants. Buck fever got me again!
Being the great hunter I am, I went for the shot anyway... 💥

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back