MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Acquiring points for youth

KnotOnCall

Does anybody know at what age i can start acquiring points for youth hunter?
I'm 33 yrs old and just now getting into the points game. I know there are some animals/places i will probably never get to hunt as a non resident, but I would like my son to have those opportunities one day. I've looked on the state websites for CO, WY, and AZ, but I can't find anything regarding age. I read for some states you have to be at least 12 to harvest a big game animal. Is 12 the age I can start buying points for my son?

In Colorado you can apply for a youth license at 11 as long as they turn 12 before the end of the season so I would assume that also applies to preference points

Hard to beat Arizona's $5 non-resident youth license for building points. My son now has 18 points for sheep, deer, and antelope in AZ with eight of those points acquired with the $5 non-resident license. Start buying AZ points at age ten and by the time they are a senior in high school they will have enough points to get most of the late rifle elk hunts.

Hard to beat Arizona's $5 non-resident youth license for building points. My son now has 18 points for sheep, deer, and antelope in AZ with eight of those points acquired with the $5 non-resident license. Start buying AZ points at age ten and by the time they are a senior in high school they will have enough points to get most of the late rifle elk hunts.

This post should be mandatory every year before due in Arizona....

I tried over the weekend to purchase a youth preference point for my 10 year old son but I cant figure out how to do it. I was able to buy the $5 youth hunt/fish combo but is there anything else I need to ensure he get a point? I think I saw on another feed that there was a $15 purchase that I needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Due date is tomorrow. Thanks

Regstar:

It's going to be BRUTAL trying to get thru to Az. G&F phone today and tomorrow!

Call me today: (480)760-3868 --- I'll try to answer any questions you might have (I talk to the draw department several times a month).

--- Tom

Do youth points carry over past the age of 18? Lets say you start buying WY elk points when they are 12, when they apply for an elk hunt at age 20, will they still have 8 pts or just 2?

Arizona G&F doesn't differentiate between bonus points obtained as a youth vs ones earned at 18 years and older. The points accumulate. They are specie specific 'tho.

Just remember, should you miss just ONE year applying for a particular animal (or bonus point), you lose that loyalty point (if previously earned) and won't regain that point until you've applied another 5 straight years.

Also, you can miss 4 consecutive application years and G&F will still retain your bonus points accrued for that animal. Missing the next (5th) year will erase all points for that specie. Note: this is separate from the loyalty point mentioned above ...

I took Randy’s advice and my 11 yo son now has 2 points for AZ, hopefully he can get a great hunt in 6 or so years. Now I have to decide if I also start buying WY points, I probably will for at least proghorn.

I have never hunted Arizona, but i will be looking into points for the boy. When do we have to buy them by?

Sigpros:

Call me immediately today! Rather than me posting a reply to you, talking via phone might be more efficient.

G&F extended this year's draw until 10 p.m. Mountain Time tonight. If you're thinking of possibly applying here in Arizona for your youngster, there's still time ...

Lv2hnt. Man I got out of school late and didn't check the thread. Guess I have plenty of time to get my ducks in a row for next year

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back