Caribou Gear Tarp

Accubound LR

Preacher shaner

I want to get with a friend and work up a load for my manbun. I have asked around on here and i was going to use the 142 gr accubound lr to head west for muly deer and antlop in WY. I just got invited on a bear hunt that i really think i will be going on. Will the 142 gr LR be alright that close. Or do i need to just use the regular accubounds

I did a little testing last year. Id have no problem thumping one at close range with a 142 lrab out of a creedbro

No LR on a bear. Antelope ok and deer. Foe everything else use the regular AB. Granted it has to do with the velocity and energy of cartridge.

I jumped on the ABLR wagon and found out the hard way.

I was thinking the ABLR for the same purpose in my Rem Mag.
Now i'm being advised otherwise.
Rem Mag love the 150gr ABLR at distance.
But hearing Noslers claims of close up performance isn't exactly what they claim.

But i'm not sure how they would react with the lower velocities of the non magnum cartridges. I may have to try them against some water jugs from my 280 Rem.

Will probably switch to the Ballistic Tip.

The Berger VLD has done very good for me on deer, with non magnum cartridges. Most of the elk i've seen taken with a Berger are from magnums though.

Perhaps you may try the Partition.

I shot a small sideways football size exit hole at 80-100 yards in a mule deer with the 142g ABLR out of a Creedmoor. It starting velocity was 2750fps. They fly great but are only for target practice now. Too much meat damage.

I shot a small sideways football size exit hole at 80-100 yards in a mule deer with the 142g ABLR out of a Creedmoor. It starting velocity was 2750fps. They fly great but are only for target practice now. Too much meat damage.

Wow? I have put 2 ABLR's into 2 pt mule deer bucks at ~100 yards with pretty much no meat loss. Both high shoulder shots. Using a 270 win with 150 grn zipping at 2910 fps. Also a cow elk at 30 yards high shoulder as well. MAYBE lost a little bit of backstrap or shoulder stew. No exit holes.

Here is my group with 130 gr. standard Accubonds. A buddy used them in his rifle and had pretty much the same result and killed his 4 point and his desert bighorn. The LR is not quite as accurate for me but I'm still playing with the load to make it better.

Attachments

• 20180721_085709.jpg
    20180721_085709.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 8
I have shot 2 elk and a bison with accubond LR's out of my 300 WSM. I wasn't real impressed - mostly pass throughs with surprisingly small exit holes. All dead, and the bison only did a 30 yd death spiral, but I got little lucky and really center-punched the bull's heart. Went back to the Barnes's.

For some unknown reason, i just can't get the regular Accubonds to shoot worth a darn.
And not for lack of trying!
Went through 3 boxes (7mm), playing with seating depth, different powder, different primers.
No issues with any of Noslers other bullets.
When i built my Mauser in 284 Win, i tried with that. No luck.
Also tried in my Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem. No dice.
All shoot the Partition, Ballistic Tip, and ABLR exceptionally well.

If you feel the need to shoot animals from close to the other side of the county there's only two bullet's I'd recommend. Either a partition or monolithic. A bonded core bullet is a good bullet but all cup and core bullet have a window where they preform best and it's not from 30 feet to 500 yds! I don't use premium bullet's but then I don't take shot's at big game much past 250 yds as a rule. Did a 300 yds shot one time on a deer just to say I did it! To me the bullet for you is either the partition or monolithic and I'd lean toward the one I could better afford. I like to practice with the bullet's I hunt with!

I'm torn on the high BC and long range bullet trends. I can't help myself when buying these bullets...but at the same time I know that they are completely unnecessary for my hunting requirements. I'd probably be better off with a lighter bullet under 400 yards. Other than one barbary sheep, I've never shot at an animal over 200 yards. And I would never take a shot where I'd be glad I had a hot rod of a long range bullet.

For the life of me I can't get accubonds to shoot in any of my rifles, 4 7mm rem mags, a 338 win mag, a 260 Remington and a 25/06. I have tried so many different powders and seating depths and boxes of bullets its not even funny. Yet I can put in a Barnes TTSX and get great groups. And the groups I get with Accubonds are mostly horrible. Then I find a load that shoots good enough, but it won't repeat it

Regular Accubonds have shot very well in my guns and I use them exclusively in my 270wsm and 300winmag

150 ABLR and 140 TSX loads hit the same hole from my #1 7 Rem Mag safe queen...prefer the TSX

My 300wsm, 30'06, 6.5 crm all love the accubonds and ballistic tips. They hate the hornady eld-x with a passion. I have tried so many different powder combinations that I'm running out of room to store it! Now my 243 seems to favor the barnes but I just loaded another batch of noslers and need to go try them out. Hopefully this run of e-tips and accubonds will work out!

If you feel the need to shoot animals from close to the other side of the county there's only two bullet's I'd recommend. Either a partition or monolithic. A bonded core bullet is a good bullet but all cup and core bullet have a window where they preform best and it's not from 30 feet to 500 yds!
The federal tlr does. I've used them since they first came out on everything from Prarie dogs to black bearelk and a moose, 15 yrds to 675 yrds, 1 and done

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back