Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Accubonds and Whitetail

180gr Accubond from a .300 WSM. Bullet performance was spot on and the deer died...so your friend is WRONG.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1555631283517.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555631283517.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 10
180 accubonds from a 300 wm just plain kills stuff. My last whitetail sank into his tracks in the deep snow so peacefully after receiving that load that I thought I had missed until I noticed the red streak.
All I have used for years (hand loads) for everything from antelope to moose. I have not once seen the damage pictured above. Stuff shot just dies.

A friend and I were arguing about bullets the other day. I have always used 180gr Accubonds Out of my 300WM and 165gr out of my 30-06 for whitetail. He maintains that they are too hard and will pencil through. I’ve never had a problem with the AB’s but am curious your thoughts.
I've shot several. 3 whitetail does and a big mulies buck with a 165gn AB out of a .308 and a whitetail buck and an antelope with a 140gn AB from a 7mm-08. All performed very well. I recovered only one from the opposite shoulder (7-08; WT buck; 140gn), it expanded to a perfect mushroom.

I heard once that the difference between Accubonds and Ballistic Tips was that Accubonds have a thicker jacket. I've killed a pile of critters with both bullets. The 160 grain Accubond is my "go to" bullet in my 7 mm Rem mag. I don't remember if I shot any deer or pronghorn antelope with Accubonds, but one cow elk simply fell down dead from a 160 grain Accubond.

On one African hunt, one of my PHs, who also handloaded his 7 mm RM, was continually impressed with the massive internal damage that my 160 grain Accubonds did to the animals that I shot there with them.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Accubonds on anything from a small whitetail doe to a bull elk or moose.

Accubond bullets killed 11 of the animals that I have mounted in my Trophy Room...
0YKE3Svl.jpg

BKG7PJRl.jpg

I've killed 6 whitetail bucks in since 2018 with 180 Accubonds in my 300 H&H at distances from 50 yds. to 400 yds. All short blood trails or DRT. They seem to work very well.

I have no idea how many animals I've shot with Accubonds, but its a bunch ranging from little critters to moose out of 7-8 different cartridges and never had a pencil through.

I can. Light weight for cartridge bullet's may go in and ruin a lot of meat. Bother's some and other's feel the animal dies, no problem. My thought with a lot of people is they simply want to shoot the latest and greatest. But in the early 1800's probably late 1700's. Guy's killed animals with pathetic little black powder guns and round balls and did very well. Huge difference between then and now is that then they relied on that meat for food. Today is mostly sport. You'll notice guy's that love to shoot long range always tell you the range of their shot but they never ever tell you when they wounded and lost or just plain missed. Ego thing I believe. Other than the monolithic bullet's the only purpose I've ever read for the plastic tip is to increase the BC for people wanting to shoot long range, as if they weren't already doing it and the best doing it well. The rest, just wasting ammo and risking wounding and losing an animal. If we relied on that animal for food a good number of people would stop that and learn to hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back