Accubonds and Whitetail

morgaj1

A friend and I were arguing about bullets the other day. I have always used 180gr Accubonds Out of my 300WM and 165gr out of my 30-06 for whitetail. He maintains that they are too hard and will pencil through. I’ve never had a problem with the AB’s but am curious your thoughts.

I shoot the 165’s out of my 30-06 (profile pic as proof, ran about 20 yards), 130’s out of a 260 and 270 when I could find them, and 140’s out of a 7mmHT before I sold it. No issues with my experiences

A friend and I were arguing about bullets the other day. I have always used 180gr Accubonds Out of my 300WM and 165gr out of my 30-06 for whitetail. He maintains that they are too hard and will pencil through. I’ve never had a problem with the AB’s but am curious your thoughts.
I had a string of handloaded .300 wby 180 grain accubonds. Freezers full of pronghorn, hogs, whitetail and mule deer. Shoot what your gun likes and you feel comfortable with.

Now where is the forum that argues .223 is too much for elk?

I’ve used 165NABs out of a 30-06 and 140 NABs out of a .270 for years with great success on deer. Most are DRT, and I also always have an exit wound. Best of both worlds.

My daughter even used a .308 125 NAB youth load on her buck this year and had a DRT, but the bullet hit high shoulder and didn’t exit, so I switched to NBTs for that anemic load. Which leads to my next point...

I have been curious about “less-than-full-power” loads (2700-2800 MV) with NABs on deer, as I’ve been loading those for kids the past few years with NBTs. I wonder if the lower velocity NAB loads will expand as reliably on deer-sized game, with similar shock effect. Only one way to find out.

A whitetail doe hit with a 165 and a pronghorn hit with a 140

View attachment 181530View attachment 181531
No penciling through there...

Small sample but the 4 deer and a few hogs I have shot with Accubonds out of my .308 and .280 have yet to take a step. Looks like I may be going to E-Tips or Partitions this season in the .280 because I can't find Accubond bullets or cartridges....

No penciling through there...

Small sample but the 4 deer and a few hogs I have shot with Accubonds out of my .308 and .280 have yet to take a step. Looks like I may be going to E-Tips or Partitions this season in the .280 because I can't find Accubond bullets or cartridges....
Interestingly enough I switched to the 160gr to try and tame the rapid expansion I was getting with the 140s @ 3200-ish FPS. As you can see in the photo, it didnt work.... That whitetail doe was 225+ yards, still made a fist size hole

180 accubonds from a 300 wm just plain kills stuff. My last whitetail sank into his tracks in the deep snow so peacefully after receiving that load that I thought I had missed until I noticed the red streak.

Thanks guys. I have had nothing but great luck from AB's with whitetail, hogs and rams. Shot a 200lb hog last year with a 30-06, 165gr AB and the destruction was amazing.

Accubonds are the most reliable all purpose bullet I have ever used, and I’ve used most of them. They will always expand and will always penetrate. Very forgiving as far as accuracy too

Accubonds are the most reliable all purpose bullet I have ever used, and I’ve used most of them. They will always expand and will always penetrate. Very forgiving as far as accuracy too
I agree we are using accubonds out of all our rifles now. There great 👍

Back