Yeti GOBOX Collection

Accubond to E-tips?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

After listening to Randy's podcast on copper ammo, I've been heavily considering a full transition to lead-free ammo. My Winchester loves the E-tips so far at the range.

Can anyone speak to the efficacy when taking deer-sized game? I've always had good results with the accubonds. I hope to maintain the results if I do switch.

Thanks in advance.

Many have shot more than me, but I one shot both an antelope buck and a cow elk last year with TTSX (100gn/130gn respectively). Performed perfectly, neither animal made it three steps after double lung shot. Found perfect open petal on the back side skin of the elk, pass through on the antelope - both animals in the freezer.

7mm08 140 grain E-tip (nosler factory load) got me a cow elk at 370 yards with one shot through the lungs last October. She tipped over about 15 or so seconds after the shot.

After listening to Randy's podcast on copper ammo, I've been heavily considering a full transition to lead-free ammo. My Winchester loves the E-tips so far at the range.

Can anyone speak to the efficacy when taking deer-sized game? I've always had good results with the accubonds. I hope to maintain the results if I do switch.

Thanks in advance.

If that's what you ant to do, do it. You don't need permission. I'm just guessing as I've never used a premium bullet but, they may kill deer just as dead as what you changed from. Just a guess!

Thanks for the input. I'll be ordering some more boxes.

7mm08 140 grain E-tip (nosler factory load) got me a cow elk at 370 yards with one shot through the lungs last October. She tipped over about 15 or so seconds after the shot.

Is that a Remington AWR?

I switched from accubonds to e-tips about 6 or 7 years ago. I've recovered a few bullets and the accubonds retained about 70% of their weight and the e-tips about 99% and had better expansion as well. I'm using TTSX now and they seem to perform as well as my e-tips did.

Here's a post from a while back with a picture of some of the e-tips I've recovered. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/copper-mushroom.273336/#post-2577392

Here's another post with an extra bullet that actually didn't have 99% weight retention. Still had a dead elk though. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/sh...-shoulder-or-double-lung.268590/#post-2512095

Loaded my first E-Tip in 2008. Killed 4 animals I think. They worked well, went back to Accubonds. mtmuley

The price point is a factor as well. Nearly $25 a box difference in the 180 grains.

Thanks for the input. Two boxes of the E-Tips are on their way. Hopefully, I get to try them on an animal this year.

Unless you’re forced to switch to lead free I would stick with accubonds
I was not forced to switch. I do hunt properties now that require it. The conservation aspect swayed me and I think is compelling. The idea of being holistic in our approach, not just worried about game animals but also non game (raptors), supports our postion as champions of wildlife.

I was not forced to switch. I do hunt properties now that require it. The conservation aspect swayed me and I think is compelling. The idea of being holistic in our approach, not just worried about game animals but also non game (raptors), supports our postion as champions of wildlife.
You can shoot whatever you want and still be a " champion of wildlife". It isn't an issue of one user being "better" than the other. Kinda how you come across. I shoot both, and don't feel one bit bad about shooting a lead bullet. mtmuley

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back