Looking for Nosler E-Tip in 7mm-08

npaden

Well, I didn't think the ammo shortage would really affect the higher end hunting ammo but I was wrong.

Think we got it sorted out that my son's new rifle prefers the 140 grain Nosler E-Tip ammo the best but now I can't find it available anywhere.

My son shot these off the bench last night. The fouling shot has an X through it on the Vor-Tx target. It was shot with a cheap ammo brand and ended up falling right into the mix. Really all of these grouped very similarly, especially considering the Vor-Tx was 120 grain and the others were 140 grain.

IMG_3391 (2).jpg

It liked the Barnes Vor-Tx 120 grain TTSX the second best and it was a pretty narrow gap, and I can find that but was really thinking the 140 grain bullets would be better for elk.

Anyone have a lead on where I might be able to find some? I've looked at all the usual suspects and they are all showing to be out of stock.

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that an elk will be able to tell the difference, if the shot is placed well. Jack O'Connor made a life long income espousing the 270 with 130 cup & cores. Today's 7/08 with mono's easily matches his ammo, or bests it. If 120's are available....Grab 'em. There are a ton of post on HT about 7mm 120 BT's taking elk & moose !!

I'm sure you are right. Especially with the TTSX bullets.

I've actually had a couple folks message me that they had some of the Nosler ammo though and are checking into shipping requirements for ammo.

Some really good people on this forum.

Thanks, Nathan

After our range time this past weekend, my son picked Barnes VOR-TX 120 gr TTSX for his 7mm-08 Tikka Superlite. We also tried 139 gr GMX Superformance, 140 gr E-Tips, and 150 gr ELD-X. We had the best groups with the TTSX followed by GMX. Group sizes with the Nosler E-tips weren't far behind, but found the bolt was more difficult to close than with any of the other cartridges.

I was fortunate to pick up 4 boxes of the TTSX Monday. Hopefully we have enough to get us through October elk season.

Sounds like we were shooting the same options except we didn't try the ELD-X.

We actually had a little difficulty cycling the bolt on the Hornady GMX Superformance. It wasn't picking them up as easily into the chamber. Actually had a couple misfeeds.

The Barnes and Nosler both fed without any issues for us.

If you can’t find loaded ammo but can find the bullets, I believe I have some 7mm-08 dies if you’d be interested in reloading some. I can lend you dies and a press, or if we can match up schedules we can work up a load together. I have plenty of powder and primers if you can supply the brass and find the bullets you want. I don’t have much in the way of 7mm bullets.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back