Absolute Hammer Load Data

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Steve didn't like the velocity stall with the 250 primers, hence the test loads with the 200s. I'll test accuracy for three different charges with the CCI 200. Probably 40.4, 40.7, and 41.0. I haven't ever screwed with seating depth with the Hammers.
Great thread. Do you load to max magazine length or standard cartridge length?

Great thread. Do you load to max magazine length or standard cartridge length?
Depends on the bullet. With the other Hammers I go 0.025” off the lands. With the Absolute I just go to magazine length or slightly less for feeding.

That feedback from Steve on the stall is food for thought. One problem that comes to my mind with trying to locate velocity stalls on one shot/weight ladders is you don't know which side of a potential ES that particular shot would fall. If you have two back to back, one on the upper and the other on the lower, it could potentially deceive. Just thinking out loud.

Not to hijack your thread, but here were mine. And only posting in light of the velocity stall.
(7mm-08, Lapua, WLRM, SW Precision powder, 131HH)
42: 2726
43: 2754
44: 2824
45: 2879
45.5: 2989
46: 2996
46.2: 2978
46.4: 3008, 3016, 3016, 3030, 3018

Your 40, 40.5, & 41 with the 250's looks kinda like my 45.5, 46, 46.2. ??

I never saw any pressure signs, and was sure pleased with the ES on the last 5 that I shot for that purpose. It was snowing, so didn't get to shoot groups, just over the chrono out the back.

Now wondering if I should both keep inching up to find top end with this combination, as well as do a few with standard primers.
Yours is over a narrow enough charge difference I don't know I would worry about it. I think I'd probably shoot for groups, record some more velocity data so you can get a reliable ES and SD and see where you're at.

Looks like that powder might be a good substitute huh?

Disclaimer: this data exceeds maximum loads. Don’t assume this will work in YOUR rifle. If you do you ARE likely to hurt yourself or others. Please consult with Steve Davis for load recommendations. The Absolute Hammers like a fast for cartridge powder. For reference, H4895 is slightly faster than Varget

Rifle: Kimber Hunter 6.5 CM
Barrel: 22”, 1/8 twist
Bullet: 123 grain 0.264 Absolute Hammer
Brass: Hornady
Powder: H4895
Primer: CCI 250

I used load data from Sierra to start. They showed a max load of 40 grains with a 123 SMK. I cut 10% for a starting load and did a charge ladder from 36 to 42 grains.

View attachment 171546View attachment 171547View attachment 171548
Top left casing is 42 grains, definite pressure. The loads in the 40-41.5 grain range will get a closer look for accuracy. For comparison, my current load with 124 Hammer Hunters and Hogdgon SuperPerformance clocks in at 2890 FPS.

For ballistic reference, using the estimated g7 BC of .229, and using 3000 FPS muzzle velocity and a 250 yard zero this is what my Hornady app shows for drops. It's also showing 2196 fps at 400 yards and 2018 at 500 yards. Plenty of velocity for expansion for any ranges I'll use this gun.

Corrected, the shot angle did not reset to zero from last time I used it.
View attachment 171578

After talking with Steve about the data, I'm going to re-shoot the upper loads with a CCI 200 and check results. I may also use a slower powder, he feels the H4895 may be a little too fast for this combination.

@mtmuley

I have had several rifle's over the years I have loaded past max listed loads. But I do watch couple pressure signs pretty close. best one for myself is a sticky bolt, always makes me back off! I think there's a lot of rifle's out there that will handle over max loads but I don't suggest anyone do it. If someone need's to tell you what to look for, don't go there! Reading pressure without the right tools to me is nothing more than a shot in the dark and you need to know what your looking for to determine excess pressure. Your not sure, most guy's I don't think get there in the first place. I think there's some thing's guy's do that most just should not even fool with. Guy on another site liked to load bullet's into the lands. Said he had to carry a cleaning rod with him in case he got a bullet stuck in the lands and couldn't get it out. I'd like to know if that happened how he got the bolt open!

I think there's a lot of rifle's out there that will handle over max loads but I don't suggest anyone do it. If someone need's to tell you what to look for, don't go there!
I absolutely agree. It’s super important to have a good baseline for and be intimately aware of things like bolt lift, recoil, brass appearance, primer appearance, etc. I’ve been reloading a lot of years and I still get nervous exceeding max loads.

I ordered three sample packs of 6.5’s last night. Just bought a 26 nosler and am wanting to see how heavy an AH I can push. The big question is powder though, not a lot of data on the AH’s and the 26. I’m hoping rl 26, 7828 ssc or h4350 will work because that’s all I have that I think will work.

I ordered three sample packs of 6.5’s last night. Just bought a 26 nosler and am wanting to see how heavy an AH I can push. The big question is powder though, not a lot of data on the AH’s and the 26. I’m hoping rl 26, 7828 ssc or h4350 will work because that’s all I have that I think will work.
Go to longrangehunting or the Hammer site. Pages of info. mtmuley

No, and I’ve read you saying that at least 20 times. I put a note last night requesting load data with my order and then realized I didn’t specify which caliber. So I replied to the email confirming my order with what I needed. Spent all day coyote hunting and will again the next two. Should have my bullets by then and if the email didn’t work I will call during business hours and get to work on it. Thanks Muley.

Find one of the fastest powders listed for the 26 and start with that. I’d think the 7828 would be one potential candidate.
I think so too. I’ve been on here, LRH, Rokslide, and Hammmertime, but I’m pretty new at the reloading thing so I’m asking lot’s of questions. Thank you 🙏.

On the other hand, I just loaded a test run of 90gr’s for my 257 Bee and can’t wait to see how close I can get to 4000 fps 😎.

I think so too. I’ve been on here, LRH, Rokslide, and Hammmertime, but I’m pretty new at the reloading thing so I’m asking lot’s of questions. Thank you 🙏.
Ok. If you need Hammer info from Steve, pm me. I do have an in. mtmuley

I know for my Dad the 26 liked the REALLY slow powders with 140 grain Accubonds, particularly US869, so I’d bet the 7828 range would be right in the sweet spot for the Absolutes.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back