Caribou Gear Tarp

About sheep hunting

JB Florida

What are the most reasonable options when it comes to sheep hunting??? (with a chance of success)

I'm just guessing that Dall is the lowest cost option???? I want to get a nice sheep before I get too old & Fat to climb.
Being from the Gulf coast (flatlander)
I'm hurtin for air up there!

What do you guys think?
JB
:D

Your cheapest option is to draw in the lower 48.......but since that is probably not going to happen anytime soon since you are a non-res to all states with sheep, then Alaska offers you a chance for the price of admission.......which starts at around $5000 usually, and only goes up from there.......

Good luck buddy, and remember, sheep are the things most of us have to just dream of.......
DS

JB,
this past fall I went on a sheep hunt (unguided) and I flew out with Kirk Ellis (k-Air) out of nebesna, AK. He charges $7500 for a sheep hunt. I know its pricy but its worth it with him. You fly out to a remote camp and from there its on horseback. his guides are first rate and know what they are doing.He guides in the wrangells which are known for having the wide curls. Beautiful country and you will more than likely get a ram. Besides his wife is a great cook :D

Thanks Guys!

I got some advice on this from my dad too.
He did one of those High dollar Guided Moose
and sheep/bear/wolf hunts a couple of years back with 2 friends. He did well on the Moose and REALLY wanted a chance at at Dall, but his guide was more of a bear hunter.
He did take an AWESOME Grizzly, but he never got a chance at the Dall.
His Buddies both took nice rams though, so they are surely out there!
He is towards the upper end (agewise) of being able to do a mountain hunt like that and has been encouraging my Bro-in-law and I to not wait too long if we can swing it!

We all have to have GOALS!..
....right??
JB

JB since you are not an Alaskan resident you will have to hire a guide(also for goats and brown/grizzly bears). The going rate is around $1300 a day with a 5 day minimum typically. The easiest country to hunt is the Brooks range whereas the biggest rams typically come out of the Alaska, Chugach and Wrangell ranges.

The only way around the outfitter/guide requirement is if you happen to have a relative(2nd degree kindred or closer) who is a resident and who will accompany you.

Flying in is the best option overall I think although there is lots of good hunting to be had on horseback trips.

Get in shape and go now while you can.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back