A Yukon Delta Moose Hunt

If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times that Gomer is a lazy sonavagun... he really lowers the HT quality avg.

Lol

Damn, even 1 mph is impressive with those conditions. Great work.

Definitely a nicer bull than the other one. That one had a much diminished left palm. I guess dad had to forgo any meat hauling with those synthetic knees. Nice to have slave labour along on the trip. Just being with him was payment enough.

You said three quick shots into the bull. What kind of gun was he shooting? First shot must have been a stopper to keep the bull from wandering off dry land. Quite the adventure!

Time to get a moose for myself.

On the 18th, with the soreness still in my hips and the pain fresh in my mind, I thought it would be a good day to go out behind camp to the 200 yard knob and do some calling. We headed out there, sat down and immediately started calling. It wasn’t 20 minutes and I could see a bull coming through the trees. Then another.

98059E82-73F0-4D4A-80B7-98AE0B73E2EA.jpeg

This was one of them. The other looked similar. Not the moose I was after, but from the direction he came in, he was about 80 yards from the tent and 100 from where the float plane could get him. Tempting, but no.

We called from that knob for about six more hours, and nothing else came in. The wind was picking up and probably making it hard to hear us.

Mid to late afternoon, we walked back to camp grab a bite to eat and I went out to look across the slough to see what was shaking over there. Previously, I had seen multiple bulls in that direction that could look like they could be contenders. There were also moose the other direction from camp that morning I could see in spotter that would be worth looking at if I could get a good enough vantage. I hiked up above camp, found a break in the willows and immediately saw a nice bull only about 500 yards from me and only a couple hundred yards from the edge of the slough. A good spot to get one.
725B5BA0-B6F8-4A0A-BDC6-EA6031F26CC9.jpeg

I had seen enough. This would be where we’d head to first thing in the AM.

We got up early on the 19th, ate breakfast and got ready in the dark.
As soon as it was light enough to see, I rushed back behind camp to the same vantage I had spotted the bull from the night before to ensure that they were still in the vicinity. There was also 4 cows and two small bulls, so I expected they wouldn’t be far.

In the predawn light I could see a group of moose, including one with a big rack only about 200 yards from the location the night prior.
Surely this was him. I headed back to camp and we got in the boat and headed that direction.

As we approached the area the moose had been, I could see a cow and calf at the waters edge There was a dense alder patch nearby that could certainly conceal more moose.

We eased the boat over to the opposite shore and sat there quietly and watched for about a half an hour to figure out what was going on. A cow, calf and small bull filtered out, but no big bull.

I climbed onto the bank to get a little elevation and brought my optics with me. After a few more minutes of looking, I spotted a larger bull behind some alders about 600 yards off the edge of the water. I could just see the outline of large paddles and also that it had multiple browtines. This must be him.
We let the closer cows wander off a bit more so we wouldn’t startle them, then slowly idled the boat over to the shore.
My FIL decided he’d wait at the boat and I should go alone as it would be faster and half as loud.
The ground here seemed much better so instead of waders i was able to wear schnees boots(yes, they leak), gaiters and HH rain pants. Much more comfortable and quieter too.

I made a mental note of where the bull was and began slipping through the alders. I slipped quietly passed a cow. When I got to where the bull had been, I found nothing. I sat down and listened.
I could hear a cow balling repeatedly off to my right. Surely the bull was down there with here. I slipped through the alders, then into a beaver lodge mess, backed out of that, found a new way around and was soon sitting on top of 4 cows that were coming out of a low area. Certainly that bull must be right here. I sat down and waited.

AC2BD2C4-65E2-4943-B4AA-06E30242A46A.png

4750217.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back