Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A tale of two rifles

One thing to check is to see if the front action screw is a bit proud into the chamber. I had a factory Bergara that had that issue. 10 seconds with a grinding wheel and I was good to go. It was very subtle - I had checked the chamber with a flashlight and hadn't noticed, but it was clear from the bore scope it was proud.

Try turning out the front action screw by one full turn and try to chamber a round. If it works - then you just have a screwed-up scope mount to deal with. If it doesn't then you are only out 1 minute of your life.
I have had that issue in the past as well. It wasn't that. I took it back today and the store gunsmith thinks it's the extractor. They are gonna get it fixed.

I’d be surprised if the AWR was headspaced wrong to the point of not chambering a round. I doubt it will be a difficult fix. The 5R rifling on those barrels is really good according to a couple of friends who own them. You’ll have a nice rifle without much effort is my prediction.

Good score on the Kimber. I have a Hunter and absolutely love it. Mine is a very consistent 0.5-0.6 MOA rifle with a Hammer handloads.

Truth be told, if I had to choose one gun between my Remington Mountain Rifle and the Kimber Hunter, I’m not sure which way I would go. The Remmy would possibly end up looking for a new home.

The trigger on the Kimbers is really nice. I installed a Bix’n Andy on my Remington, which was a huge improvement over the factory trigger.

Good luck with your new additions.
They really fill different niches. The kimber for hiking, the remmy for not as much hiking.

Danny near I think. I have a vx5 2-10 coming from schmalts that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I already have the talley lightweights. Should be around 7 lbs all up or maybe a little lighter.
That’ll make a damned fine setup. Hard to beat it.

Disappointing that ANY store (especially any large store) would sell any firearm without ensuring that it functions properly first. We inspect every gun we buy and do a "dry" function check before we will even offer a seller $$. The offer is dependent on the gun completing a 3 round volley flawlessly into our snail.

My Kimber Classic shares safe notches with four 700's, never hear a peep of disagreement out of em...

Hope you make a shooter out of the AWR, it has great bones.

I bought a rem 700 AWR in 7mm mag about 1.5 years ago. I replaced the trigger with a trigger tech right away just like you. My bolt would close but very difficult. I noticed brass shavings in the extractor area and gouges in the base of the brass. I sent it into Remington and they either replaced the bolt or fixed it. Been a good shooter ever since. The extractor was messed up from the factory.

I bought a rem 700 AWR in 7mm mag about 1.5 years ago. I replaced the trigger with a trigger tech right away just like you. My bolt would close but very difficult. I noticed brass shavings in the extractor area and gouges in the base of the brass. I sent it into Remington and they either replaced the bolt or fixed it. Been a good shooter ever since. The extractor was messed up from the factory.
Good to know. They have a good reputation when they work. That's why I bought it.

I bought a use Kimber Montana in .300 WSM after shooting my friends. I noticed deep impressions on the cases after firing. I looked inside the chamber and could see what appeared to be a scratch and could feel it with a pick. Sent pictures to Kimber and they said to send them the gun. In a week they had it back to me with a new barrel and the new barrel came with a break when the old one didn't. I don't use the break but it is nice to know I have it. Oh and Kimber paid 100% on a used rifle! That is great customer service!

I bought a use Kimber Montana in .300 WSM after shooting my friends. I noticed deep impressions on the cases after firing. I looked inside the chamber and could see what appeared to be a scratch and could feel it with a pick. Sent pictures to Kimber and they said to send them the gun. In a week they had it back to me with a new barrel and the new barrel came with a break when the old one didn't. I don't use the break but it is nice to know I have it. Oh and Kimber paid 100% on a used rifle! That is great customer service!
I have a new Kimber HUnter in 280AI and it is amazing. I have neard they stand behund thier rifles fully. I have had several Sako's and they had some heat treament reciever problems with a run and they were like a rock of integrity.

Browning almost went broke resolving salt cured stocks that caused corrosion.

Remington has dodged and denied any responsiblity for flaws in thier rifles sine the 1950's. My happiest day as a gun owner was when I sold my last of many Remingtons. It was a model 7 in 260 with a cheap cast trigger that only had a hard plating which wore off.

I finally got the remington back the other day so thought I might do an update on these two. The kimber has been great. I've only tried two different loads, federal 180 gr power shok and 180 gr barnes ttsx. Both shot about 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds. I think it can do better if I do better. The remmy had a whole host of problems. The initial problem was it wouldn't chamber. The issue was the extractor was damaged. Took it back and they got it fixed. When I brought it home I took it to the back of my property and shot one round. That one fired round wouldn't extract. I think the prior owner forced the bolt to extract and that was how the extractor got damaged in the first place. I also checked the feeding from the magazine and it wouldn't feed the 3rd round. So I took it back to the store and they said they would get it fixed. After months of waiting It finally returned. They polished the chamber and adjusted the magazine spring tension. I fired 3 rounds and it seems to cycle ok. A bit stiffer than I like but I suspect that this is essentially a brand new rifle so it should smooth out with use. I put the trigger tech back in it and mounted an old scope I had sitting around. I haven't gotten to the range yet but things are looking promising.

Last edited:
Back