A Rifle In Search of a Bullet

TXLonghorn

I have a 1985 Rem 700 BDL Mountain Rifle chambered in .280.
22” pencil thin barrel and according to a person at Remington arms, 1/9.25 twist.
Always shot factory ammo 140’s-150’s. Im going to reload for it now I want one bullet to do all its jobs, Elk on down. What should it be?
Lots of .280 people on this forum, this should be an easy question. Thank you in advance for your help.

Just starting to reload, you may find it difficult to get supplies to work with. Hopefully things will change in a few months or so. But I wouldn't count in it.
Just starting to reload, you may find it difficult to get supplies to work with. Hopefully things will change in a few months or so. But I wouldn't count in it.

Wow press that button ALOT is my motto.
Reloading a long time got all the stuff just never this cal. Honestly I dont own anything else in 7mm.

Going to order some hammers tomorrow. Never heard of those but they have samples!

All you need are some CCI 250 primers, RL16, and some Hammer bullets. I have the same gun, albeit newer.

Magnum primers. I had read some guys using magnum primers in 280.
Got some Fed 215’s they should work

I have a 1985 Rem 700 BDL Mountain Rifle chambered in .280.
22” pencil thin barrel and according to a person at Remington arms, 1/9.25 twist.
Always shot factory ammo 140’s-150’s. Im going to reload for it now I want one bullet to do all its jobs, Elk on down. What should it be?
Lots of .280 people on this forum, this should be an easy question. Thank you in advance for your help.
Sounds like a sweet gun, we need pics.

Same gun, recut to AI some time back. Been using 145LRX over 7828 SSC ever since it was rechambered. The rifle has taken pronghorn to moose with those bullets.

I wouldn't hesitate to run any hammers, either. Running those in a few other rifles with great results.

Ditto the pics.

In my kimber 280AI with a pencil thin barrel the 143 HH and rl26 with 215m primers did the trick for me. That rifle didnt like the 145 lrx no matter what I did with it.

Back