A Rare Offer (Idaho 2020)

TheNorthStar

While not exactly a "live hunt", I wasn't sure if there was another appropriate place to post this year's story, so here it is.

I first met @Sawtooth on HuntTalk back in 2017 as I was planning my first excursion to the West. Of course I had a whole pile of questions about how and what and where and he was more than eager to help someone as green as green could be, coming out to his home state of Idaho for the first time. I could tell his passion for the outdoors was great and I considered myself quite fortunate to have stumbled into an "online friendship" with someone so willing to offer up knowledge and ideas.

Fast forward to the Summer of 2019, he and his wife were planning on spending some time in my neck of the woods. They both just so happened to have distant roots in Minnesota and they were going to try and locate them on an extended work/vacation that spanned several areas of the state that I was familiar with. Along with some suggestions on things to do and places to visit here, I insisted that my wife and I take them out to dinner one of their free nights in the Twin Cities. So we met up in St. Paul, had a great dinner, went out for ice cream afterwards and talked about elk hunting for a few hours before saying goodnight and wishing them a safe trip home.

Now, I had spent a couple seasons in Montana in between that first trip and this year, but I never stopped thinking about the mountains of Idaho. I began planning my return as early as January this year, but as panic over the novel coronavirus ramped up shortly after my decision, it became evident that this year's trip West might have to be cancelled all together. Idaho fish and game even suspended license sales to non residents for a time. However, by June, it became clear that the virus wasn't the one that would end us all and Idaho saw fit to open non resident sales back up. I had my deer tag purchased no more than 20 minutes after they were available and once again, excitement was on the rise.

With lessons learned in past years in mind, I got a hold of Sawtooth asking for a favor. I'd hoped he would be able to give me some solid weather reports on the area I had hunted in 2017 in the lead up to this season. Of course he readily agreed and inquired about my plans, offering suggestions for all possible scenarios I might encounter. He and his main hunting partner had a sheep hunt to plan for September we both fed off each others optimism and excitement to get after the mountains yet again. As the time went by and tags were acquired, by mid July, he and his party knew where they would be opening weekend. One of their favorite spots for elk in his namesake mountain range. He then proposed something I'd never expected, a truly rare offer if the sentiment on this board is any metric to judge by, he asked if I'd like to come share a hunt with him on that favored mountain for a long weekend, Friday through Monday. Of course I accepted with the promise that I'd keep it to myself, and only go back with explicit permission. Hunting spots and friendships alike have been ruined by loose lips in the West.

So October came and I made the journey from Minnesota to quite possibly the steepest place you could still dig a boot toe into that I had ever seen in my life. It was intimidating, to say the least, for someone whose best opportunity for Summer training is a 700' river bluff. Sawtooth and I met at our designated spot, suited up and began climbing. There were several stops for the catching of breath, and short stories about the camp we were slowly making our way to. He assured me that the pace was a good one, even though I felt like I may have been slowing us down. I definitely wondered if this was a place I'd ever consider going to if not for the figurative tow rope encouraging me up the mountain. 4 hours or so later, we were on relatively flat terrain where we'd be based out of. With a stop for lunch, and the mistake of only grabbing 1 liter of water cramping up one of my legs, we were a little behind schedule and were only able to glass the slopes around the lake we were camped next to at 7200' for a bit before dusk closed in around us.
20201018_093111.jpg

The next day, the hunt began in earnest. Following Sawtooth like his shadow, keeping an eye on the slopes around us for any movement, we soon spotted a beautiful, jet black bear moving with purpose across the slope another 500' above us. "And that's why you hang your food up!", he quipped and we continued up the hill. Later on that day, we jumped a couple of bedded does and he spotted 3 very nervous elk moving out of the area, but other than that, this side was pretty quiet. We spent a couple of days on this side, from this camp, the 2nd being even less eventful. Sawtooth seemed surprised at the lack of activity so it was decided that we would move to another camp the next morning.
20201017_091243.jpg

20201018_113439.jpg

That next morning, we packed back up and headed for a lower, but no less steep camp. The going was slow, but mostly because we were hunting our way over. We passed through a couple of bowls that apparently should have runneth over with deer and elk, but again were uncharacteristically, quiet and empty today. My legs and lungs were both feeling pretty good at this point and I began to think about what I was actually capable of physically. Every time we stopped to glass, or catch our breath, I'd absorb another bit of information about mountain hunting, or relate the type of deer hunting I was used to. We shared stories about growing up in our respective parts of the world, things we've seen, places visited. How we met our wives, how our families had grown and hopes for the future of our children. I found a 4pt mulie shed at 7000' along the way which seemed crazy to me. We gained our 2nd camp, rested up and made our way to the water source we'd use for the remainder of our time there which is where our first encounter with a buck developed. There were several does and a couple of small bucks, jumped out of the cut just above the spring. One was undoubtedly just a forkie and 1 may have been a small 3x3. They made their way nervously up the opposite slope and I would have taken that 3x3, but a comfortable shot never presented itself and they disappeared into the timber high above us. Finally though, we had some action! We collected our water and set up to glass the opposing slope of that next ridge for the evening where we watched a cow and calf pair feed their way down and out of sight. It was good to get eyes on some animals and provided a confidence boost that we were now in the right area. 20201018_161722.jpg
20201018_181949.jpg

The next morning was to be Sawtooth's last. The number of cases of coronavirus in Ada county was throwing a very large and heavy monkey wrench into his work schedule, but he was determined to help me fill my deer tag any way we could. He suggested several other locations I could try out and that his main hunting partner, Bill, would be happy to have me tag along after a quick visit home to make sure everything was still going smoothly there. Wanting to maximize my time on the mountain and hesitant both to drive several hours further into the state and burden Bill, a very strong hiker, I'm told, with my Minnesota pace, I decided to stick it out there and burn up some boot leather exploring further up the mountain. So we began the same way we ended the previous day, binoculars and spotting scopes scouring the same slope that we had watched those 2 elk on till dusk. Our plan was to glass till 10am, have some breakfast, then pack Sawtooth up, climb down to my truck by noon, get him to his truck parked a ways down the canyon and have him home and working on what he was going to do for the remainder of the week by 3pm that day. I'd track the route down so I knew how to get off the hill and climb back up that afternoon to continue hunting. As they say, however, and is often true, life comes at you fast...
20201019_102258.jpg

Last edited:
About 1/4 to 9, my legs felt the need to stretch and I stood up, opening a bit more country to look at off to my right, all the way over to the end of the next ridge. As I scanned with my binos, 3 bodies moved around the tip into an open, grassy stripe. "Elk.", I turned and whispered to my host. "Where?". "Tip of the ridge, half way up that first light colored strip."

We watched intently as the calf and 2 cows became 5, then 7, then 10 as more animals got up out of their beds, expertly concealed in the thick stripes of beetle killed timber. Ultimately, we decided there were 11 elk on that slope, but even then, I'm not so sure we had them all pegged. It was amazing to see them materialize out of what seemed like thin air to join their herd in feeding on the grassy portions of the hillside. "You trying to make one of them grow antlers?", I asked, not knowing at the time the prophetic nature of my statement, but soon enough, Sawtooth would do just that. "One's a spike!" I swung my scope across and sure enough, the next tan flank that filled my vision did indeed have a pair of spikes protruding from just above his brow.

The next sequence couldn't possibly have taken up more than 12 or 15 minutes, because the deed was done by 9:30, but it's difficult to sort through in my excitement. I was asked for a range and one was given. The elk moved up the slope a bit, presenting only a Texas heart shot for a while then perhaps quartered away a bit. There was a large branch in the way for a minute and Sawtooth scooted down our slope with his tripod. "Should I take the shot?" I was taken aback, honestly, that he would ask me for any advice on the matter. "Yeah, man, I will help you get him out!" The elk disappeared behind the foliage of a large pine and Sawtooth returned to his original glassing spot, seemingly thinking the opportunity had passed, as I continued to watch the pine behind which it had stepped. "Oh, oh, he's perfect right now, broadside!"

It's clear to me now why folks sometimes call this a rodeo and I'm sure more often than not, this is how it all goes down. Sawtooth scooted quickly down to the heel prints he had dug himself where he was originally prepared to shoot. "Range?". "480...". "You ready?". "Yes.".

The report of his .308 echoed all around us followed by a distinct thump. I didn't see a ripple, but the sound I heard was a definite hit. The remaining cows and calves disappeared and we attempted to sort out what happened. The spike wheeled and got behind that same pine tree mentioned earlier and I zoomed out waiting for him to squirt out either side, but he never emerged. I was confident in what I heard and Sawtooth said the shot felt good. He circled around to the other ridge while I kept an eye on the area we last saw the bull. He was very nearly there when I caught the tan of a flank piled up against a large deadfall tree. "I see him, he's dead!". I guided him down to the bull, got up and walked over to camp to empty my pack and grab his 2nd treking pole then hurried off to meet him and his prize.

image000000.jpg
20201019_120317.jpg

20201019_120611.jpg

20201019_131959.jpg

We spent the remainder of the day pulling meat and packing it back to camp, sorting out how he would make this all work as we went. Daylight was fading by the time we set off down the mountain towards my truck with both hindquarters and I won't lie, it was a rough go in the dark. Several times we got off the trail and into thick tangles of deadfall and brush, but there was no other option but to bite down on the mouthpiece and tough it out. Eventually we were victorious, banged up shins, 1 bruised bottom and a broken treking pole not withstanding. Exhausted, I thanked him again, we shook hands and bid each other goodbye. I believe he didn't get home until midnight that night, not quite the 3pm as planned, but better late than never, eh? I spent the night in my truck on a nearby forest service road and woke up to another cow in the headlights. This place was truly a wonder to me.

After climbing back up to camp and taking a short nap, I checked OnX, made a plan for the day and set off. Unbeknownst to me, Sawtooth's work situation would afford him one more day off and he was likely a third of the way to camp when I set off for a false top another 1000' above. I would call this day a silent and somber tragedy: Sawtooth had spoken to fish and game and had all the necessary arrangements to send me home with a quarter of his elk, but I had no inclination that he would be back so soon. He got to camp with Rudy the good boy in tow about an hour after I left camp and left again after some time about an hour before I returned to glass the slope his bull died on. Regretably, yet unavoidably, I missed my chance at the meat and he missed his chance at carrying half the load back out. (We would touch base again in another days time). After a brief encounter with what I believed to be the same group of deer we saw in the same area 2 days prior, only this time with just the forkie, which I decided to let grow up a bit, I spent that evening wondering who he sent back up to retrieve the rest of his gear and those 2 game bags as I watched the first black bear, a big 2 toned with a white V on it's chest, claim the carcass and begin the feast.

20201020_181938.jpg

20201020_191809.jpg

That night it rained steadily into the morning, I woke up and spent some time side-hilling out from camp and got absolutely soaked. The mountain was all socked in by mist and fog and visibility was 75 yards at best. Without my partner to keep me company anymore, 6 days from my last conversation with the wife and kids, missing them terribly, the soaking that morning was the last straw. I decided to pack up and head out a day early. A fortunate decision too as I would have been stuck driving in some awful weather through the mountains instead of on the freeway the next day. I did touch base with Sawtooth as I hit the first patch of cell service and he filled me in on the previous day. I called my wife and spoke to my kids too while I was there, filling that lonely spot in my chest back up with their cheerful voices. Empty handed but with a familiar sense of satisfaction anyways, I pointed my truck East and began the long trip home.

I didn't get what I wanted from the mountain this time, but yet again, I got enough of what I needed. I may not have filled my tag for the 4th year in a row, but I learned more than I ever have before; not just about hunting the West, but about what I should expect from myself in the pursuit. It was a pleasure to spend this time with you @Sawtooth . You're a good hunter, a good shot and a good man and I'm happy to call you my friend. I can't thank you enough for the trust you've given me by taking me to one of your spots and I hope I've conducted myself well enough to share your camp again in the future.

The End

20201018_093127.jpg

Last edited:
Nice story! How convenient that downed tree just happened to be there to stop that spike from sliding. Myself, I would have had a hard time not turning my deer tag into a bear tag. I think that's OK, if I remember right.

You bear shooters aren't mistaken. Idaho allows you to pin a deer tag on a bear or a cat. I would have taken a lion in a heart beat too, but I feel a certain way about bears that I'm not sure I can even articulate in written words. It's very likely I will be on a bear hunt in the time that I have left, but I'm not ready now.

Thanks for the write-up and kind words @TheNorthStar. You are a good friend and welcome in my hunting/fishing camp anytime. I regret the fact that we were unable to get you a nice buck. We will have to get you back here to try a couple of other places that are not so steep, but still hold some nice deer. I am still trying to figure out the best way to get you some of that hard earned elk. Your help in getting that spike off the mountain was invaluable and made it possible for me to get the rest of the meat and my camp off the mountain before the snow hit the day after you left.

Thanks for the write-up and kind words @TheNorthStar. You are a good friend and welcome in my hunting/fishing camp anytime. I regret the fact that we were unable to get you a nice buck. We will have to get you back here to try a couple of other places that are not so steep, but still hold some nice deer. I am still trying to figure out the best way to get you some of that hard earned elk. Your help in getting that spike off the mountain was invaluable and made it possible for me to get the rest of the meat and my camp off the mountain before the snow hit the day after you left.
I hope the story did the hunt justice. I could have streamlined it a bit and maybe added a couple more details, but I was also distracted trying to keep 2 elementary students on task at the same time, lol. I certainly wouldn't baulk at the chance to share in your handiwork, if a reasonable solution is found, but I don't want you to go far out of your way to do so. It all happened the way it happened and there's nothing to be gained by lamenting over it. I just hope your poor, abused knee is feeling better. You told me that I was smiling too big for the task at hand when we were packing that meat back to camp and I meant it when I replied that this is what I came here to do.

As I get older and hopefully wiser, I place more and more of my personal satisfaction in the experiences I'm living through above all the other more tangible things in life. Sharing in a successful hunt on the side of a mountain as steep and high as I've ever set foot on is one of those experiences I'll never forget and I'm glad to have this community to share it with. I mentioned to you that doing difficult things regularly puts the rest of life in perspective and makes things you might get upset about otherwise seem trivial at best. So the next time I'm getting frustrated with some situation at work or home, all I have to do is look back on the memory of dropping 5' off that log, onto already shaky legs, with 50-some pounds of meat on my back in the dark and suddenly everything is going to be just fine. It'll be you I'm quietly grateful to in that moment. Thank you, brother!

That was a great write up, I can relate to your experience on so many levels, especially flat landers like us hiking up mountains and elevations.
I agree, @Sawtooth is a great guy, and equally great shot, I have seen him in action, that was some shot on that Elk, BTW Sawtooth, I put a deposit down on a .308 a few weeks ago, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. You captured perfectly why I love hunting out west as well - beautiful, rugged country; the majesty of the mountains; great partners to share the adventure with; and the opportunity to walk where so few others have gone before. Obviously, one of the goals is to bring home meat, too, but the ultimate experience is just to be there. One of the most satisfying parts of any hunting adventure is time spent with a good partner. It's no stretch to say that our life may depend on the judgement and abilities of our partner, too, and it appears that you both chose well. Thanks again for taking us along for the trip.

Note: I'm in the Two Harbors area of Minnesota.

That was a great write up, I can relate to your experience on so many levels, especially flat landers like us hiking up mountains and elevations.
I agree, @Sawtooth is a great guy, and equally great shot, I have seen him in action, that was some shot on that Elk, BTW Sawtooth, I put a deposit down on a .308 a few weeks ago, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Cheers
Richard
Richard,
A .308 win would be a great caliber for your red deer, but not too much for your row buck as well. It is also a pleasure to shoot at the range. What type of rifle did you get?

Last edited:
Richard,
A .308 win would be a great caliber for your red deer, but not too much for your row buck as well. It is also a pleasure to shoot at the range. What type of rifle did you get?
Dropped you a message, didn't want to derail the thread.
Cheers
Richard

Back