Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A nice Whitey on Trail Cam

iminrut

Ya...I know....you'd think that with my Leaf River Digitalss out there, they'd be getting all of the good pics....and up till now, they have.......but I've still kept my three Stealth film cameras out there........they've been getting some nice pics of does and scrub bucks, but nothing outstanding....

I've been hoping to catch this buck on film (I acutally did not know what he looked like) after finding his rub line.....some monstrous rubs.......needless to say, I 'bout jumped out of my skin when I picked up the photos from the shop.........he sure looks like a young buck yet, by his body.....what do you think he'll look like next year ?? :eek:

17390DingBuck-med.JPG

Thanks EH....I must have been editing on that as you posted......got'r straightened out......gonna have to remember that on the next copy/paste....LOL

What I think (and I'm always right...even if this post isn't in SI ;) ) is that whitey would look dandy on my wall sayyyyyy 6-7 months after one of my Goldtips found him! Nice buck Irut...you got yourself a honey hole !!

Iminrut, I'd be excited too. He looks pretty small bodied I think, But wouldn't you think he's 3.5 years old? I just don't think a 2 year old would grow those kind of antlers (normaly). What do you think his rough score is now ? I'd say at least mid 130's and probably 140. Should be a 150 class deer next year? What do you think Iminrut?

Nice, pretty main frame 10.....Good tine length throught the G3s... I agree that he looks like a young buck, though..... Give him another year or two to develop some more mass and maybe a little more tine length and he should be a dandy... Not that there's anything WRONG with him NOW....:D....

West ND... I'd put him somewhere in the high 130s... Not being familiar with the area, it's tough to guess his age, but he sure looks like a 2.5 year old to me, and in my area it's possible for 2.5 year old bucks to measure as high as 140.... If I had to guess, I'd say he's an exceptional 2.5 year old that has the potential to measure up into the 150s in a couple of years..

I'm comparing him to a buck that was taken near my home this year that had a very similar rack... The difference is that he was 5.5 years old... The kid that shot him just had him officially scored a couple of weeks ago and he scored 161 net..

Yeh I put him in the 3 year age class as a "guess".....I'm only thinking 3.5 because of his good antlers but your right super exceptional 2 year olds can be big. The majority of mature deer (3.5 plus) here in ND were I hunt are 125-140 class, although my neighbor killed a 152 few years back that was aged 3.5 years old, and the biologist said he may only be 2.5. My buck from this year we aged, and we couldn't come up with exact age but he was 3.5 or 4.5 and scored 148. We have some tremendous genetics up here but as usual, we can't keep the bucks alive long enough to find out just how good most bucks will be by 3.5.

Also I believe most bucks where I hunt put on at least 10" per year. Sometimes even more. I know of a smaller framed 6x5 who ranges close to my dads house . Found one shed. No tines over 6 inches, but fairly good mass, but short main beams this year, 17 inches mabeye.(gross score 125ish) I have no doubt he will be heavy into the 130's next year . Mabeye even 140 which is a "shooter" for serious hunters around here as you don't see many that size to choose from.

Oh, that buck I got this year that we guess at least 3.5 but not sure if any older?? He was one "fine featured" deer. He almost looked like a doe with horns. His body was very petite and almost "feminine"......Wasn't all puffed up in the neck or anything. He was killed on the 20th of November, but he was with a doe at the time, definately accompanying her. But for the size of his rack, nothing else matched and he wasn't scarred up from fighting, no broken tines, certainly not an "old warhorse" by any means.

Makes you wonder if some of the big ones stay out of the first half of the rut just because they get bullied by other more dominant bucks, with smaller racks even. Thats starting to be my take on it. Anyone else notice that the big racked bucks don't show up sometimes til AFTER the so called "peak" of the rut. By the way, I did see (and miss) a true "warhorse " a few days before I saw the buck I shot. Big rack, big neck, squinty eyed PIG. And I missed him 300 yards from where I first saw this years buck. Mabeye "Mr Big" wasn't at home that morning so my buck decided to borrow his bedroom?

I'd guess that deer at 3 to 4 years old. Imagine what he will look like at 6 or 7 years old. Great critter...

:cool:

Nice buck, I would say he'll be a little bulkier. You know thinker body wise. If you can find him during hunting season I think you'll get a good one.
Quick Draw

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back