Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Trail cams on public land: how is that ok?

So it the case of a trail camera on public land for “whatever length of time” - it’s litter?

If you pull a trail camera off a tree, are you a thief? If you vandalize it are you a criminal or a Good Samaritan?

So it the case of a trail camera on public land for “whatever length of time” - it’s litter?
Yes, as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me, the hyper public lands preservation and protection dickhead!

If you pull a trail camera off a tree, are you a thief? If you vandalize it are you a criminal or a Good Samaritan?
Yep, you are a thief; it's private personal property. Yep, you are a criminal vandalizer! You are only a "Good Samaritan" if you politely ask the owner to remove it and he/she does.

I am 100% "Leave No Trace." The only time anything was left at my campsite was when I was out hunting for the day. When I went home, everything went with me except the horse and dog turds - but NOT in the campsite (my turds usually went in the stove). I even took the firewood I cut if I was hunting out of the truck. Horse camp I tossed the firewood in the creek before leaving. Candy bar wrappers and pop bottles go back in my day pack and into the stove later. I leave it like i find it because I love the outdoors. Any photos I take are done by my hand, not some plastic machine stuck to a tree. Really, I've never seen one of those images I would want hanging on a wall anyway. There needs to be a line in the sand and I for one am proud to be a conservative when it comes to preserving what's natural.

@Straight Arrow it sounds to me like there’s more underlying here than game cameras on public land in MT. Like for instance the sprawl that made big sky a memory? It may not be too late to get an urban growth/rural development boundary in statute like OR did 50yrs ago. MT can still prevent going the way of TX if you really want to stop these behaviors you’re describing. I do believe Californians are a handy dog to kick in these matters and yeah, some of what those afflicted claim may be true.
But overall more people need to develop a sincere respect for nature and to try to leave it as pristine or better than we found it. Even those building up huge vacation home ranchettes came to MT for a reason that will escape them for their own actions.

There is a bill related to these trail cameras going through the legislature right now.

At first I thought the headline meant it was banning all trail cameras. But after reading I believe the bill is banning the sale of pictures taken by trail cameras. So essentially an outfitter or somebody that scouts for somebody else can't sell the pictures. I am for trail cameras but the sale of pictures to the folks that didn't even bother to walk out and set up the camera themselves, that seems a little over the top to me. I am for this bill but it seems like something that would be difficult to enforce.

I wasn't even aware that this picture selling was a thing. I've got hundreds of trail camera pictures, who wants to sell me their house or even better, a nice boat for my pictures? Guess I can set up on the street corner selling pictures out of my trunk (think along the lines of cell phones via Better Call Saul style), I got it all, Moose, elk,...squirrel... whatever you need.

Again.

It happened again.

Not only does he let his dogs eat it WHAT THEY DONT EAT HE THROWS IN THE GOT DANGED STOVE!

I'm all for trail cams on public land. But I also think it's morally acceptable to keep anything I find left on public land.
Honestly, they are cool to see what's out there, but tech has gone too far. Keep the mystery in the woods. I think they should be 100% banned and destroyed if found. And this is coming from someone who is fascinated by the photos they provide. They should be used for official research only.

I'm all for trail cams on public land. But I also think it's morally acceptable to keep anything I find left on public land.
Honestly, they are cool to see what's out there, but tech has gone too far. Keep the mystery in the woods. I think they should be 100% banned and destroyed if found. And this is coming from someone who is fascinated by the photos they provide. They should be used for official research only.
Clear example of self-contradiction. Well done!

I have a buddy, not me I promise, no, really, who drops his drawers, tucks it back, bends over and backs up to the lens of cameras he finds on public lands.

I can't post the pictures our trail cams take on "Rubber Ridge" as they include some prominent locals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back