A little reminder of where to look for ammo.

Hammsolo

Where and how did you get ammo as a kid? I’d hit Coast to Coast with my buddy and a note from my Mom for 22 ammo.

I bought 17hmr ammo at Miller’s hardware on the Southhill of Spokane the other day. They have a small area with a decent little selection of factory ammo. It’s all for sale at MSRP! Support your local shops and get deals. The same ammo on line can’t be found for under $24. I checked and laughed.

Bambistew

I don't recall there being a limit on age to by ammo as a kid. I would buy from Angle Hardware 50 rounds were $1. All the stickers were hand written. Loved that place as a kid. It was originally a blacksmith shop, that morphed into a hardware shop. Its now a secondhand hand thrift shop. On the rare occasion we went to Bozeman, we'd hit Gibsons just as you got into town... Its now mid-town. Winchester/Federal/Rem all - $9.99 a 500 round brick or $2 per 100 CCI. That was after I ran out of all my stocking suffers, usually got 1000 rounds from Santa. The other best place to get ammo was one of 3 ranches we used to shoot gophers. They'd give us all the ammo we could shoot in a day and then some.

LukeDuke

Coast to Coast…lol. I still have the 870 Express I bought there when I passed hunters safety in 1989. If I recall correctly it was about $195.

Jbotto

I never stockpiled ammo as a kid. My parents aren’t shooters/hunters, so that was never explained to me. At most I had an open brick of .22’s and maybe an unopened brick too. I never ran out, just would have mom pick some up if she was running errands and pay her back with lawn mowing money. When I left home, and went to a small community college in a backwoods town, same deal. Never stock piled. As soon as I opened my last brick I would replace the unopened one for next time out. I remember my preferred brick of Fed Bulk Pack (blue box, that I’m pretty sure was a relabeled shotgun box) of 525rds was $16.99 in that town. I could find them at some of the bigger sporting good stores on sale occasionally for like $12-15. Not sure how man thousands my old Marlins have seen.

Backofbeyond

Used to ride my bike to Jack’s Hook Shop in town, 100 CCI for .99. But that’s just because Jack’s was a block closer to home than Coast to Coast.

Hammsolo

I remember getting pissed at the creeping prices… 5 cents for a 22 round?!? I’m calling bullllshizzzzz!

isu22andy

12 bucks for a 500 brick of .22 ammo . Had to convince mom I used em all trapping . What a lie . Used to shoot shit just to shoot shit, trees, mud , frogs , rocks ,songbird grand slams. Shot an old wagon one time that In my 14 year old prime have never seen moved cause it had flat tires. 2 year later my uncle needed it for something said what the hell who shot the god damn wagon all to hell. Never did confess lol .

Hammsolo

I took my ammo to the Anaconda Dump! My greatest shot was shooting an antenna off a tv with my Grandpa’s 22. 📺 🔫

MarvB

Besides the little local mom n pops as a kid it was always Coast to Coast, Kmart, or the Army/Navy store. Also the (Oregon stores) Blackbird and Bi-Mart.

westbranch

L&M Fleet Supply in MN was our go to for "local" stores. But it was a 35 minute drive away. Wal Mart was very close to L&M and always had cheap .22 ammo. I think I remember a 550 round brick for $6 in the late 90s??? Might not remember that price correctly. Some local hardware stores within 20 miles had a small selection of 30-06 and other standard rifle ammo. Middle of nowhere was rough nothing was local.

Hammsolo

Was there a time when a 22 round cost a penny in my life? 🤔 seems impossible…

Jbotto

Was there a time when a 22 round cost a penny in my life? 🤔 seems impossible…
I think I was buying them for 2 pennies when I first started shooting in the early 2000’s. I’d say there’s a possibility of that, but idk for sure.

Last edited:

Slm864

My grandpa always got my .22 ammo at the local hardware for me when I was a kid. A box of thunderbolts and some penny candy.

Last time I went in they no longer had ammo. Candy is still there though.

Bambistew

Gun Control Act of 1968, but I'm sure rural areas were slower to enforce it.
I know I bought ammo when I was maybe 14 without an adult, before that I was always with an adult even if I was paying. Also used to buy cigarettes from my grampa when I was like 8-10. I'm sure that everyone knowing everyone in town probably had something to do with that as well. I spent more than a few nights in a bar drinking before I was 21, and IIRC I think I was 17 the first time I was served, but had a buddy who vouched for me because I forgot my ID. Not in my home town, of course. :D

Hammsolo

The rules in Anaconda have always been loose as anyone who passes through the area knows. It’s tightened up somewhat now, but it has always “been a step behind” in good and bad in a few ways. I bought all my ammo in the 80’s with a note until I was a teen and then I bought it. I bought beer in the gas station… I’ve always looked older. I was drinking in the bar around 16, and fist fighting in kindergarten. I remember being stupefied even traveling to Missoula for my first Griz game that I couldn’t drink, walk the streets with a brew, or get a “roady” for the truck at the bar… it was the ways things were, and probably shouldn’t have been… sounds like a new Toby Keith song. Thank God you can still walk home while enjoying a cold one. 🍻

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacksfrog