Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A little lesson in public land hunting

drahthaar

I thought I was gonna be done with bears, but as it turned out, Sunday evening, we had a few hours before dark and I asked the wee one if she wanted to give it a whirl down "the bear road." She gleefully agreed(this kid wants a bear bad) and we threw the bikes in and took off down the road from the house.
There was nobody parked at the gate, thank god, so we bailed out and started out for the big clearcut. Riding in I could see some dummy on a 4 wheeler had been in riding around.:rolleyes::mad: Shocker, I know.

Soon we come up on a lady and her husband. I recognized her immediately, I have run into her and her brother every year in here on the road. She said, on Friday they saw three, and he missed a giant. Huh, sounds good. We talked, they were on their way out, and we were on our way in.

We got to the big boulder, and waited and waited and waited. Cazz sat on the boulder, pulled out her note paper and proceeded to draw a black bear! Laffin! It was lookin bad, and I didn't want her 1.5 miles from the truck in the dark in this grizz infested bear hole. So I told her we would go back to #2 best clearcut, closer to the truck and all downhill to buzz out from there.

We get to the lookout spot and there they are, the lady and her husband. We stop and talk for a minute, and just then here comes a bear! I throw my binos up and see its a dink. I am about to say so, but look over and its clear, she is gonna shoot it, period. So I grab my rangefinder, she is on the ground with an AR style 308 with her husband giving some instruction. I say, its 253. He tells her where to aim, what to do, etc. I go, Cazz, plug yer ears. I am watching through the binocs, and boom!!! Its front feet come up off the ground, and it starts running for the timber. Boom!!! No reaction. It turns and runs into the timber.

They decide to head down and look for blood. Her dad then showed up and followed. They get down there and are looking waaaay short of where it was. I yell, keeeeep goooinggg!! They find blood, and start milling around. 1'oclock I yell. And they turn slightly into the timber and there it is.

I tell Cazz, they got it. And she says. "Why didn't you shoot it dad???" So I had to explain to her, we are all sharing, they were there first, it isn't our spot, etc. Oh boy, she sighs and says. "I want to see it." So we ride down to the road below and walk over to them. The lady is beside herself excited. I lent them my saw for the pelvis. They tied its feet up and ran a log through them and started carrying it out. We all walked back to our bikes, I asked if one of them needed a spell. They declined and we congratulated the lady and rode out.

I am glad Cazz got to see the whole thing, just wish it was one she got to take home.

That's a very cool experience for your daughter. Better yet, if she got to take it home, but I'm betting she'll be talking about that one for a while. Well done.

Excellent job. Even though the outcome wasn't what you/she would have liked. . .the life lessons were learned. Glad you got to spend that time with her.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back