A little inspiration

IAhawks84

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I was at work today, driving from one job to another and thinking about deer hunting. I then thought about the gentleman in this story. Perhaps some of you have read it before. I had the privilege of doing some work for this guy last summer. To say his story is inspiring is a massive understatement.
When I first saw him, I could tell he was blind. He came to the room that I was working in, conversing as per usual with a customer. He then told me, "I am blind if you did not know", and I was thinking, yeah it's pretty obvious. Upon learning more about this guy I thought, wow, it's not that he didn't realize I knew he was blind, but he does not see it as a disability. It does not hold him back.

We started talking about hunting after a while. I was talking deer hunting, then he starts telling me how much he enjoys it as well. I'm growing a bit skeptical at this point, but when he was talking about actually shooting deer I thought, yeah this guy is full of shit. Sure enough he wasn't. He brought me downstairs and showed me a couple of deer he had mounted. One being the deer in this story, the other being a doe. He said he caught some flak for mounting a doe, I told him I thought it was awesome. He also had the newspaper article framed by the buck mount.

He told me that he'd really love to elk hunt. I have no doubt in my mind this guy will make it happen. I don't know Mr. Crawford real well or anything, as I have just worked in his home a couple of times. He really made an impression on me though. Talk about an inspiration. I just thought that some of you may enough reading his article as well while we're all battling/waiting out the covid.

Great story. I used to accompany my dad for special deer hunts for disabled persons at Carlos Avery in MN. The hunt coordinator told us about a paraplegic guy who hunted there in previous seasons. His shotgun was mounted where he hoped the deer would walk exactly where they needed to in order for the sight to cover the vitals. Since he couldn’t move the gun at all, there was a whole lot of very patient waiting for this to happen. But when it did he used his head to fire the gun and drop the deer, and then he pulled off the same feat another season too.

Great story. I used to accompany my dad for special deer hunts for disabled persons at Carlos Avery in MN. The hunt coordinator told us about a paraplegic guy who hunted there in previous seasons. His shotgun was mounted where he hoped the deer would walk exactly where they needed to in order for the sight to cover the vitals. Since he couldn’t move the gun at all, there was a whole lot of very patient waiting for this to happen. But when it did he used his head to fire the gun and drop the deer, and then he pulled off the same feat another season too.

Thanks I am glad that you enjoyed it. What part of Iowa are you from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back