Caribou Gear Tarp

A Late Season Migration Elk Hunt With Meat For The Freezer

mdeerjunkie

This year in the leftover draw I drew a late season cow elk tag for a well known migration corridor in CO. After waiting for some fresh snow I was able to go up last weekend. And boy, were the elk coming down. There were hundreds of them all pouring down the mountains. The only problem was they were on the wrong side of the road. And due to the very limited amount of public land in my hunt-able units it was hard to connect with the elk once they crossed the road.
IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1250.jpg
After a few days with no success, and getting tired of sitting in the cold. I decided to mix up the morning and do a little rabbit hunting. I pulled out the Remington 870 and after a little bit, dropped a hefty cottontail rabbit.
IMG_1323.jpg
After shooting the rabbit I looked to my right and to my great surprise, here came about fifty elk running down the nearest slope (of course). But thankfully I had brought my other gun along with me. I took off after them. After running for a bit I saw the their heads peak above the ridge. They started to descend to the bottom of the gully and crossed right in front of me. I picked out a cow and the Browning .308 did the rest.
IMG_1337.jpg

It was a great fulfilling hunt. Thankful to have filled the freezer. And I can't wait to have some delicious elk steaks and bacon wrapped backstraps for Christmas! Merry Christmas Hunttalkers!
IMG_1297.jpg

Very nice! Grats on the hunt and thanks for sharing your story and photos! Some great freezer filler there!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back