MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A great opening day

Bwana

Just thought I would post some pictures of the great opening day our group had this last Friday. We ended up with 5 decent bucks in 4 hours of hunting. Nothing big but we were pretty tickled.

To top it off on Saturday, I ended up filling my two doe tags and first thing Sunday morning the wife filled hers too. By Sunday at 4:30 all that was left of the eight deer was a pile of meat for the freezer.

We were at the pickup getting ready to leave after making the first walk of the day when two bucks were nice enough to come running up and stop in the wide open about 125 yards out. The girls made them pay for their mistake and less then an hour into the hunt.
2008.jpg

Close-ups:
My buddy's wife with buck #1 of the day:
2007.jpg

My wife with buck #2:
2009.jpg

After loading those bucks up we headed to a big cattail slough/CRP field where we had watched two bucks go into earlier that day. We ended up kicking out 8-10 does and 4 bucks, one of which my buddy shot. I had a nice 5x5 standing still at about 40 yards but chose to hold out for something a bit bigger. He just wasn't big enough to end the season only 2 hours into it.

My buddy's buck #3 for the day (2pm):
2010.jpg

We then headed to a little grass slough about 150 yards off of a prairie road where Dad had seen a nice buck go the night before. Luckily nobody had walked it yet.
Bwana's buck #4:
2011.jpg

You can't really see it in the picture but he has a split browtine on the non-typical side but definitely a wierd rack. It would have made a cool european mount but I hit him in the back of the head/top top of the neck so the skull is a mess. He came out of the slough behind me.
2012.jpg

I was wondering when those would get up here. Congrats again.

If I remeber correctly you guys can't start hunting until noon on the opener. Is that right? What is the reasoning, other than it is North Dakota? ;) :D

Nice Bwana,
All in a days work in NoDak!
I hear the chickens have been pretty good as well.
My bro from MN was in Mott for the opener and said it was a slam.
WD

Congrats on a heck of a day of filling tags. Theres nothing wrong with any of those bucks and a couple of them have tons of character.

Hats off to the ladies for filling their tags, you guy's all ended up with some real nice bucks, way to cool.... Good job... :)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back