A Good Squirrel Opener

JTHOMP

Me and my girl friend made the 3.5 hour trip back where I use to live for opening weekend of squirrel season. I’ve always looked forward to this day and filling a limit but this trip was now also to see old friends...and get a limit.
The WMA we hunt is an island and was underwater for a lot of the growing season. More than usual. None of the cow oaks had acorns and few water oaks had acorns. The hunting was slower compared to previous hunts with squirrels not very active. Opening morning I put 3 in my bag and wasn’t optimistic on finding more. Another hour or so later that I killed 5 more within a hundred yard area to fill my limit. One friend got 6 and another 2. Later I kicked myself for not noticing, but was proud of Ashley for being observant, but after we left she said that the only place where she saw acorns on the ground was where I kill the 5. She still isn’t ready to hunt but I enjoyed having her tag along.

D79D5489-A35D-4ED6-BD07-508BF38F6E96.jpeg

Last edited:
Good stuff, I don’t do nearly enough squirrel hunting. How you plan to cook em?

Brown them, make a roux, cook tender with sausage and veggies. I grew up eating them fried but don’t think I’ll ever eat them again other than a gravy. Squirrels in red gravy is pretty good too. I’ve never done a red gravy with squirrels but might try it next time.

More people need to hunt squirrels. So much fun! And can' be beat with gravy, onions, potatoes, & carrots. Makes me wish my dad was still here to go with me. Great memories.

Whew, sure did a number on the tree rats - I'd say it was worth the drive! I'm at 0 squirrels in the bag so far this year 🙁

The last ones I ate I put in a slow cooker with gravy for a while. One of the best tasting things around. I just can’t get myself out of a tree stand to chase squirrels most of the time.

@Bullshot I highly agree that more people should hunt squirrels and small game. Especially kids and beginner hunters. If you have a few minutes I highly recommend listening to this guy talk about squirrels and small game. The 14-22 minute mark is the highlight.

Those 8 minutes should make everyone want to go kill a squirrel.

100% agree, the most valuable lesson my dad ever taught me in the woods was given during squirrel hunting as a little kid. Before you pick a place in the woods to sit, look up and all around for widowmakers.

@Bullshot I highly agree that more people should hunt squirrels and small game. Especially kids and beginner hunters. If you have a few minutes I highly recommend listening to this guy talk about squirrels and small game. The 14-22 minute mark is the highlight.

Those 8 minutes should make everyone want to go kill a squirrel.

100% agree, the most valuable lesson my dad ever taught me in the woods was given during squirrel hunting as a little kid. Before you pick a place in the woods to sit, look up and all around for widowmakers.

My dad started me off hunting and facilitated a passion for it, but most of what I know I learned from others or on my own. One thing I have to give him credit for is teaching me when you shoot one squirrel wait before you pick it up. Often there is another one around, but hasn't made a move yet. Makes it a lot easier to kill a mess of squirrels when you get 2 or 3 in the same spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back