Yeti GOBOX Collection

A fire and ice solstice

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Well, maybe that’s a little dramatic. How about glaciers and volcanoes? My wife and I climbed one to celebrate the first day of summer.

I’d like to give a major shout out to Les Schwab Tires in Hood River. They got us in and out after a catastrophic brake failure in a very short time.

A couple of lessons learned:
1. Change brake calipers if you don’t know how long they have been on, even if the looked okay
2. Don’t rely on the outside brake pad as an indicator of brake life remaining (see 1)
3. A pad and caliper that have disintegrated will make your truck sound like a Sherman tank as you drive through downtown, and draw lots of funny looks.
4. If you’re going to have to pay for the full monte brake job, do it where there’s no sales tax.

Moving on. The mountain.

The trailhead

The repaired truck

The flora.

Putting on crampons

Sunrise

Windswept snowfields

A very cold summit selfie

Coming down.

Vistas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy your photo journals. Pretty cool to see one of a place so close to home.

And here I was feeling proud of myself for running a few miles yesterday—You and your wife are badasses.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun. Love the pictures. I think my favorite is the last one of the sign, there is a lot of history right there.

But... and I apologize for this but I just cant help myself being a know it all smart ass and all. Fauna is animals. flora is flowers.

Great pics, and looks like a great day! Summer, you say? I’m a little jealous, as I watched it rain...all...day.

It didn’t feel like summer. I was highly concerned about frost bite on exposed skin. The wind chill was brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold is right. I heard on the radio it was the coldest first day of summer in like 34 years or something here. It's been nice for work but I'm ready for the thaw.

Cool pics and nice way to spend a Friday and hopefully start a long weekend. Any wildlife sightings?

My home Mt and one of my favorite places on the planet (I'm actually named after it), awesome!

Looks like plenty of snow to have brought the skis, but those sun cups at the lunch counter looked a bit hard.

No glacading on the way down? I assume the cabin wasn't out on top this early?

If you ever want to try it again I highly recommend a night summit on a new moon, then hang out on the top for the sunrise, it's pretty damn sweet.

Back