A few reloading questions for the OCD

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

1. Do you square your die when you tighten it into the press? If so, is this something you do each time?

2. Do you clean the inside of your case necks to remove any lube after sizing?

3. Can you over seat primers using an RCBS hand primer?

1) Yes but only once and then I use a locking ring to keep everything in place. I haven't checked in so long I should probably do it again soon. Probably not a bad idea consistency wise.
2) Nope most case lube won't affect powder but I do prefer clean cases when charging. My process is deprime (universal depriming die), resize, trim, chamfer, wet tumble. It's different than most other's process and I'm ok with that
3) I think it is possible to crush primers such that they don't work. I'm not sure the RCBS hand primer will allow this without really squeezing hard. If you're really OCD about priming they do make special priming tools to seat exactly where you want them but I don't think they help the average reloader.

1. Once, but then handled by lock ring
2. No
3. Seems like once you get a feel for hand priming hard to so how you would over do it with RBCS hand primer - you would really have to try.

1. Yes and use a lock ring.
2. Yes with a qtip then throw in the tumbler.
3. I suspect you could seat it til it crushed but with the RCBS you get the feel of it. I also cut primer pockets after 1st firing of brass.

So if I’m understanding correctly, I set my sizing die for the correct length, then put a machine washer on the shell holder and put pressure on the ram, while snugging up the lock ring? Then tighten the set screw in the lock ring and we’re good to go?

yup...not really "squaring" as it is taking up a little slack in the threading. Not sure it really makes a ton of difference but it can make for pain in the butt removing the die if you get things too tight

JLS & MtHunter> yes to both.
2. I use hornady dry spray.
3. I use hand tool to seat primers, finger touch every single one after seating for feel.

JLS & MtHunter> yes to both.
2. I use hornady dry spray.
3. I use hand tool to seat primers, finger touch every single one after seating for feel.

Or set the primed cases on a small pane of glass to make sure they don't wobble so you know that the primers are at least seated flush

1) No.
2) Hornady dry spray once again...
3) I doubt that you could overseat a primer using a hand tool. I use a different hand tool and have to use both thumbs! I think you want to make sure that the primers are fully seated. A primer seated just "flush" with the base may move when the firing pin strikes it and may not go bang! Just my theory; so I always seat the primers as hard as I can with my thumbs on the hand priming tool (a Forster I think without looking, have had it a long time).

1. No - I run a Redding T7, Frankford M-Press and Hornady L&L so I don't remove dies.
2. No - Imperial Sizing Wax on the outside, never needed it on the inside of the case when using a Redding Type-S bushing Die.
3. I use a Lee Auto Bench Prime and never run in to issues.

1) No.. I use a Lee 4 hole turret press. Dies stay in the turret.
2) No. Outside of neck, yes.
3) I don't know. Never used one. I use the primer seater on the press.

I mostly use a turret press, so I torque down the die once it's set and only check it once in a couple hundred loadings for accuracy.
Case lube inside the neck causes powder to clog up and make a mess in 7mm and smaller diameters. So I clean the inside with a queue tip to keep it from being a problem.
It's pretty hard to over seat a primer with any hand prime tool.
Chamfering and cleaning the primer pockets help you get a more consistent seating over all.
Primers shouldn't be super hard to push in.
Uniforming the primer pockets is needed sometimes. It's easy to do with the right tool and makes loading more pleasant on the hands.
I use the Lee hand prime tools.
A hard to seat primer can be ruff on the thumbs with my priming tools.
The pocket can be evened up with just the right size drill bit, turned by hand. This usually only is done with new brass for me. But very dirty pockets benefit from this also.

Back