Caribou Gear Tarp

A few of my favorite things

Went out again this morning with my son and had a couple birds going nuts to the slate. They suddenly shut up and a few minutes later this guy came slinking in to 20 yards only to be greeted by a load of # 5's to the face! No dead bird pictures but still a fun morning in the woods with my son seeing both deer and elk on the outing.20200424_062132.jpg

Made another go this afternoon with my son where we had birds gobbling this morning. Got set up and made a few soft yelps on the slate. After a couple series of this I got a yelp back. We sat silent for a bit and then had one gobble. I made a couple more soft calls and sat back and waited. A few minutes later I see some red heads bobbing in and one bird strutting. I got a clear shot at a single bird and took it. Instead of taking off the other three tom's commenced to kicking the crap out of the bird I just shot. After a few moments of this my son broke up the show by shooting one for himself. Another great trip in the woods with one of my favorite people. To top it off I also saw my first bear of the year.20200424_171054.jpg20200424_172128.jpg

After three days of 12 hr shifts at the hospital I was ready to get back out. Made plans to meet a buddy first thing this morning. We get out of the truck and are greeted by gobbles in the distance. After a short hike and a few soft calls on the slate the birds were going pretty good. Two toms came strutting in and a load of #6's did the trick!20200430_070735.jpg

Went for an annual overnight camping trip near Priest River with some buddies of mine. Threw the shotgun and call in just in case I got a chance to get out. After shutting the saw off from cutting firewood I heard a gobbler up on a nearby ridge. Threw on some camo, grabbed the slate, and gun. Made a few soft calls and he came up the ridge looking for me. Had a great trip and hope to get out and call for a few friends now that my tags are filled. 20200501_191007.jpg

Been a bit but was able to get out in the woods this morning with a buddy. Had to sit in the truck a minute to let the rain pass before deciding to go. Usually would have stayed home as I don't like hunting birds in the rain but since we got up early we figured we might as well make a go at it. Made a few calls on the slate and got a response from three different gobblers. First one in took a load of #5's and we were able to make it back to the truck before the next rain squall. 20200515_062514.jpg

@Mica Man I haven’t seen that display before. I like it a lot.

Would Love A step by step on how you did that
Used my Gerber knife I received when renewing my RMEF membership. Started at the center of the breast and skinned up to the neck and then out the inside of both wings taking out all bones. Then skinned down the back toward the tail and off. Trimmed off the marabou feathers from around the side and legs. Salt, borax and a couple days pinned to cardboard before attaching with a staple gun to the plaque board. Thought it turned out OK for a first time attempt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back