Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A few CO and MT elk hunt pics

Bambistew

I didn't take many elk pictures. I spent to much time dragging/guttin/dealing with elk that I was sick of it by the end of the trip. I was in on 8 elk kills and to be honest was sick of elk hunting after the first day in MT. The hunting conditions in MT were not to good having left CO and some of the best conditions you could ask for. I didn't see any good bulls in MT, saw a few cows, and plenty of wolf tracks. I think this might be the last year for a while that I hunt MT during rifle season. I've not seen so many frigg'n inbreeds out and about in the woods that side of the Mississippi before.

The best one was when I passed 32 trucks on a single 2 mile strech of road, they were all pulled off whatching about 2 dozen cows on private land, and half of the yahoos were standing on the friggn road with thier rifles slung over thier shoulders or resting on thier hips. A REAL display of hunting ethics if there ever was one! The public land was BEHIND them, and I don't think the elk could have made it around the trucks to get to it! I was happy to see a couple game wardens standing by though. What a friggn joke. Saw lots of Bozeman and Billings plates in the mix.... I think I even saw Greenhorn. ;)

Here's a few pics from the trip. Every one had a good time and most every one filled thier tags. My dad and his buddy shot the cows in the truck. We got them the evening before and went back for them the next day. It was supposed to only take a couple hours to drag them off the hill... You know how that works. The picture was taken at 1pm and we started at about 6:30.

A picture of my cow on her back about 45 min into the first morning. Various CO and MT pictures.

P1000856.JPG

P1000858.JPG

P1000862.JPG

P1000885_432728.JPG

P1000878_950286.JPG

P1000870.JPG

BTW, the new 'toy' (custom pre-64 chambered in 338-06AI) performed flawlessly on an elk and a piddly little doe.

The Montana fiasco you described sounds like lots of situations I've seen in NW Colorado.

That Colorado hunt of yours sounds a lot like work! Thanks for the pics...

Congrats on slaying the elk. Yes it's a lot of work when everyone gets theirs, especially when your hunting partners shoot them down in steep, deep canyons and the only way out is up.

I ran into some of those yahoos in the Gardiner area too, sad deal.

(custom pre-64 chambered in 338-06AI).............a piddly little doe.
LOL!

Such a shame about the guys standing on the road. Seems like everyone wants the "tag out" process to be so easy.

Congrats on a great hunt! Some good eating for you this winter as well.

Thanks for the pics and story Bambi. Lot's of pooch tracks where I was hunting too. Thankfully I didn't see any of the slob hunting you did this year.

Thanks for the pics! Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but I guess that's the price we pay to hunt elk.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back