A couple questions

Larry Landgren

Well Iam getting back into archery hunting again and decided its time to get a new bow since the new models are so much smaller, lighter and faster then the old hoyts I have always used. My first question is a mathews switchback worth the money ? How do the pse's in the $400-500 range compare to them ?

My other question is about carbon arrows. I have always used easton aluminum arrows and started looking at tyhese new carbons. Whats the pros and cons between carbons and aluminums ?

Thanks for any advice

I just picked up a Mathews last week and think it's a great bow so far. Also switched from aluminum to carbon. They're lighter, faster, and more expensive. Aluminum is slower, stronger, and less expensive. Honestly, just shoot what you're comfortable with because both types of arrows will kill animals as long as you are confident with them.

The Mathews are really really nice. Maybe a bit pricey for somone just getting back into archery. The only difference with carbons that I can tell is the durability thing. They seem to be stronger and you don't have to worry about bent arrows. If it's not broke its' straight enought to hunt with.
Glueing fletch to carbon is a little trickier.

Sorry I don't know anything about the PSE's. I shoot Mathews.

I am also a Mathews fan I have the Switchback XT and love it I use to have a PSE however it was the loudest bow I have shot that was quite a few years ago and they could have fixed that problem, I would shoot a few different bows and see what you like. Try a Bowtec lots of people going to them.

I currently shoot a Hoyt magna tech, love it. I am on my 4th year, had to restring it 2 years ago, but expected as much as I shoot. Haven't felt the need to go buy another. they are all good bows, the Ross's are getting rave reviews, I need to go shoot one. they seem to be holding their own with Matthews in the taste test and are cheaper. I think that will be my next bow, but won't know for sure until I shoot it. I would go to a reputeable shop and try everything out and see what is the most comfortable for you. carbon vs alum, is again personal taste. both have benefits, I have had a few carbons blow up on me, which was not enjoyable. they are now making a carbon with alum inside, but haven't tried them. I tend to stick with what works for me. anyway my $.02... Happy shopping

Larry, I shoot both the triumph and victory models of diamond, there damn good bows in my opinion and for the price range and quality there the best you can find.

Only one question for ya on that bow Larry, Have you had the chance to shoot it yet? Because no matter how good the price i would make sure it felt right to me before i paid for it nothing like shooting as many different ones as possible before raking over the cash. No offense aimed at diamond archery I dont know nothing bout them just I feel you have to like the feel. well theres my $.02

Yeah I have shot the triumph and liberty in the diamond brands and really liked how smooth they were.

I shot a few of the pse models and they were good but not anything like the diamonds.

Iam just shoked how much the bows have changed since the late 80's early 90's when I used to bow hunt alot.

May want to give Reflex a try. They are the poor mans Hoyt, made by the same company, use the same cams, just have different material in the risers and limbs. I shoot a Reflex Grizzly and love it, my partner just picked up a Buckskin and it is a nice bow also.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back