Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A 16 year old kid's 1st bull

lbirch

Dave and I helped out our buddy the last couple weeks who is an outfitter in Nevada. Stew from Georgia drew the same tag we had the last two years so we offered our help to find him a good bull. Mark spent the first week guiding another client in a different unit while we scouted and glassed while waiting for Stew.

During the 2nd week we met Jerry and his two sons. Jerry Jr. drew the tag at 16 yrs old and it was his first elk hunt. Earlier that morning they missed a 4 pt at a couple hundred yards. We heard the shot below us but didn't think much of it at the time. When we met them at the trailhead later we offered our help if they met us back there later that night. The wind was strong and the bulls were feeding too high to make a play on them so that didn't work out. Too bad. We told them we would be in this spot the next morning if they decided to hike up.

The next day they showed up at first light. We had a couple groups located and one had a decent 5by, they liked what they saw. We ranged them just over 950 yards and we pointed to this fat cedar tree and said if you get to that tree you'll have a decent close shot. Once he's down we'll come over and help.

Watching the whole thing from our glassing spot the three of them walked and crawled over and got in position. Several minutes later we watched the bull feed into the trees almost out of our view but not theirs. Then the shot rang out and we watch the tips of his antlers fall through the trees. A great one shot deal and the bull was theirs.

By the time Dave and I were over there they had a front and rear quarter taken off. We helped them with the backstraps, neck, tenderloins and the other quarters. While we deboned the meat, Dave showed the younger son how to cape the bull to reduce the weight even more. They wanted to euro the head but he capped him anyway.

After all that we were back to the trailhead by noon.

photo 2.jpg
photo 4.jpg

While they stalked the 5by we glassed the mtn above us for big bulls. We saw a nice 350 class bull go over the ridge a couple miles above us. We also saw a 380 class bull but he was too high to get to.

Mark and Stew met us at the trailhead just as we finished packing Jerry Jr's bull off the mtn. They decided to go after the 350 class bull so after resting a bit we headed back up the trail. Our legs were sore even before the time we got to our glassing spot. We showed them were they should be for the evening hunt and they made there way higher.

While watching them hike we spotted a couple bulls feed out where the 350 bull was earlier. They looked back as they walked out and we knew the bigger bull had to be with them. One of the bulls was a pretty looking 5by with lots of mass and long points. The other bull was a 5x6. His body was smaller than the 5by and his coat was darker. The 5by was more blonde. They fed on the hill and spared with each other several times.

The guys made it to where we told them to be and noticed the two bulls feeding. Stew thought one was a shooter for sure so Mark told him to get into position. Dave and I had no idea they were going to shoot one of these two.

The first shot missed and Dave whirled around to see one of the bulls fall seconds before hearing the 2nd shot. Dave yelled out that he had just shot the 5x6 and I almost couldn't believe it. I thought for sure the 350 bull was up there somewhere but they said that only raghorns ran from the trees after the shot.

Stew was pretty happy with the bull he shot.

photo 5.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back