Yeti GOBOX Collection

98% Want to Ban Fat-Assed ATV Riders in Montana

JoseCuervo

Yeppers, that ATV lobby sure is powerful... and they represent the 2%......
rolleyes.gif

Most want travel restrictions in Rocky Mountain Front
Associated Press

GREAT FALLS – The majority of people commenting on the U.S. Forest Service’s proposed travel changes for the Rocky Mountain Front prefer a plan favoring traditional uses, such as hiking and horseback riding, an environmental coalition says.

More than 98 percent of the 7,600 comments submitted to the Forest Service about proposed changes were against additional off-road vehicle use of the region, the group said.

The Front includes the mountains and foothills east of the Continental Divide from Glacier National Park to Rogers Pass, east of Lincoln.

The Coalition for the Protection of the Rocky Mountain Front, a group of 12 environmental and recreational groups, said much of the opposition came from outside Montana. Of the Montanans commenting, 92 percent opposed off-road vehicle use, as did 83 percent of respondents living along the Front.

Last year, the Lewis and Clark National Forest developed a travel plan including permitting of off-road travel by dirt bikes, off-road vehicles and snowmobiles in two-thirds of the Front.

“The Rocky Mountain Front is in the top 1 percent of wildlife habitat and wildlands in the continental United States,” said Roy Jacobs, 56, a taxidermist and lifelong Choteau resident. “That’s largely because the Front remains free of motorized travel. I would hate to see it turned into a motocross track. ORVs can be as devastating as oil and gas development.”

Russ Ehnes, vice president of the Great Falls Trailbike Riders Association, said motorized vehicle users should have a right to use the Front for recreation even though they didn’t “solicit and generate as many comments.”

“We made one comment on behalf of our club, but it represented more than 100 families who are currently members,” he said.

“The riders I know from Great Falls, Cut Bank and all over the state really value the Rocky Mountain Front for recreating” and are equally interested in protecting it, Ehnes said.

Among other things, the environmental coalition said opening the region to more off-road travel would make it easier for oil and gas development to occur.

The Forest Service noted the existing travel plan already allows motorized travel in many parts of the Front.

The Montana Wilderness Association and other coalition members believe the existing plan is illegal.

“In the past, ORV use was not restricted and didn’t need to be,” said coalition member Kendall Flint of East Glacier Park. “But in the last decade, ORV sales have tripled and the vehicles now are powerful enough to go up places they never could before.”

Flint said there already is considerably more ORV use in the Badger-Two Medicine area, in the northern portion of the Front.

Dick Schweke, Forest Service team leader for the transportation plan, said the number of comments – 7,600 – was the most he’s ever seen on a ranger district plan.

Kate Sako of East Glacier Park, who coordinated the coalition’s counting effort, said many of the submitted form letters included personalized comments. But even if the form letters were not counted, 92 percent of the public supported traditional rather than motorized uses on the Front, she said.

Sounds like you guy`s have some big problem`s with them up there [riding off-road] in a national park unbelievable.

This guy's a joke! "“We made one comment on behalf of our club, but it represented more than 100 families who are currently members,” he said."
biggrin.gif

Everybody else could make claims like that, too.

You Blue Ribbon Coalition members just keep throwing all those membership fees down the toilet!
biggrin.gif
Sounds like the BRC doesn't amount to much! Probably because anyone with any brains knows they're nothing but a front for the ATV manufacturers.

Another nail in the ATV coffin!
biggrin.gif

Same Old Chit
direct.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-23-2003 19:26: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

I think that the comments on that proposal show pretty well that the ATV crowd is losing ground. They don't even care enough to sit down for 20 minutes and write a letter on behalf of their cause.
rolleyes.gif
Is that Taps I hear playing in the background for the ATV crowd?

Michael, got any intelligent comments to make on the subject?

Oak

I would point out that the second paragraph states 98% oppose additional off road use. That is not the same thing as saying that they want NO use, or even LESS. But the article is written to imply that this means people are opposed to any access. So which is it?

To hear Ithaca and the others tell it, the question isn't about additional access as much as it is controlling existing access. The point needs to be clarified or it's ...well...pointless.
confused.gif

Elkgunner and Ithaca,
Hard to believe this but I am in agreement (100%) with restricting the ATV crowd. I have seen 4 wheeler tracks on just about every acre of BLM land, even on the CMR National Wildlife Refuge. It is completely out of control and is getting worse.
This is not an attempt to ban allow ATV use but the users have proven that they cannot or will not police this activity themselves. If the users of ATV's would have use just a little common sense and common courtesy they would not be in the position of having new rules to govern the use of ATV's. They seem to think that them can ride anywhere their ATV's will take them, Regardless of the signs that say not motorized vehicles beyond this point. They have no one to blame but themselves.
Nemont

Here is my comment........

Same stupid argument..........same people....

It is getting quite stale in S.I.
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

MIKEY, wait I haven't gotten my statement in for more enforcement of the existing laws, yet.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Some here would have it all their way, or nobody gets to play.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
They could care less about how other people, eat think, or play. Oh, to be so narrow minded and egocentric.
eek.gif

mike, I can imagine how you feel. It must be terrible to lose every debate you get into!
biggrin.gif
If you'd smarten up and get on the right side you'd do better. You see, the positions you take are losers every time. So keep defending the welfare ranchers etc. and keep losing or try to learn something from the guys who win!
biggrin.gif

And if you get bored with the topics here why don't you start some that will liven things up?
biggrin.gif
Too hard for you?

This subject is interesting. ATV's have their place. Everyone who uses them does it "ethically" according to them. The problem I see is the damn things are everywhere!

Those who in charge of the lands must control things
mad.gif
! Their use has been extended and extended beyond reason.

Here is an example. The area I USED to hunt elk had a trail from the road into a canyon. One group always walked in and sat in the same spot and they were usually successful. Once they had an animal down they would go in and out on the trail with a damn big wheel. The trail is now an ATV trail. This kind of behavior is bullshit. Oh, I know, it is always the other guy.

My public land hunting has been pretty much reduced to wilderness areas in Utah. The reason. ATV's. The other reason, too many roads.

Give the land and herds a break for hell's sake!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> My public land hunting has been pretty much reduced to wilderness areas in Utah. The reason. ATV's. The other reason, too many roads.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I will stand behind that comment. Just today I saw a map of trails/roads mapped for some areas by the state of UT and it was just pathetic and this was only a partial data set!

Ithica,

Give Mike some credit, He did come out against the damage done by Welfare Ranchers in the area he Elk Hunted.

Mike, if we can show equal damage by ATVs, would you also support more restrictions on ATVs during hunting seasons, and perhaps, other times of the year?

Mike, any chance you can remove the picture from your signature, so my Dial-up modem can download these topics faster????

mike, I'm sorry I didn't remember your welfare rancher post. Most of the time I don't read your posts. I can't remember if I read that one or not. Even when I do read them I don't pay enough attention to them to remember them for long.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back