MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

$900 to $1300 new rifle

bf1002

I am looking at spending somewhere between $900 to $1300 on just the rifle. I already have glass that would cost more than the gun. I am looking at Browning X-Bolt, Bergara Terrain Wildnerness, or Howa M1500 Precision. I personally haven't shot any of these manufacturers and I am a relative novice when it comes to buying a rifle. I've shot all my life, but with guns that have been handed down over the years. Is there anything one of these guns offers the others don't? Any other makes I should be looking at? As always thanks for any and all input. I always appreciate the help I get in this forum.

For what it's worth. Different guns for different people. I was mostly archery and as ages gets up on me I'm doing more rifle shooting. This fall I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Browning "HELL'S CANYON SPEED" in 7mm mag. I absolutely fell in love with the gun. I'm still looking to purchase the gun. Good luck.

PS: most will ask what you intend to use the gun for? Elk, deer, antelope, P-dogs, coyotes or Grizzly?

Bought my X-Bolt hells canyon last year and used it on both my mule deer and antelope hunt. In my opinion it offers extremely good value and quality for the price point. It is super lightweight, already cerakoted, and has a threaded barrel cap among other things.

Oh also, it drives tacks

I am looking at spending somewhere between $900 to $1300 on just the rifle. I already have glass that would cost more than the gun. I am looking at Browning X-Bolt, Bergara Terrain Wildnerness, or Howa M1500 Precision. I personally haven't shot any of these manufacturers and I am a relative novice when it comes to buying a rifle. I've shot all my life, but with guns that have been handed down over the years. Is there anything one of these guns offers the others don't? Any other makes I should be looking at? As always thanks for any and all input. I always appreciate the help I get in this forum.
For about the same price as that HS Precision you could get a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry that is the same action, but weights a pound less and has a longer fluted barrel...

That's kind of a tweener range IMO for what you get. I'd be just as happy with a stainless Tikka and aftermarket stock compared to most things under about $2,000. I'd have said a used Fieldcraft a year ago but they're well over your range now that they're no longer in production.

I would go t3X SS lite in a B&C stock for $1000. Would go to Bergara as second choice.
I'm looking at the t3x with a B&C stock vs the Tikka laminated stock. I hate having so many good choices :) Also the Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry

I bought a Hell’s Canyon speed this summer and it’s a nice rifle. Had the chance to shoot a Bergara wilderness and one of the premier a couple weeks ago and would be just as happy going that route (long time 700 fan). I’m still set on my next rifle being a Tikka, they just seem like the best bang for your buck right now.

Just buy a tikka t3x for $799. And you’ll have $500 already budgeted for the optics.

giphy.gif

For the $ you're talking, you could actually build one. Or just about. I built my own recently on a Remington 700 receiver with a RemAge barrel. I didn't keep a very accurate ledger of expenses, but I probably put near $1300 into, including the specialized tools you need for that sort of thing. I'm kind of itching to do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back