8x binoculars enough for Western hunting?

Ain't that the truth. My son just bit the bullet and bought these. He was lamenting the cost and I told him I have spent that much and more over the years trying not to buy the Swaro's
You can say that once more. I bought cheap binos for years. Bought some good 10x42 Vortex Diamondback and that is not even high end stuff but I have not regretted it since. These were 200 something with my discount. My hunting buddies typically spend around 75 for a pair. I figure buy a lifetime pair and be done with it. Got tired of replacing cheaper ones because the lenses fogged or got broke.

I started with 10x, but ended up switching to 8x for most hunts here in Idaho. When I hunt antelope in Wyoming, or wide open sage flats for mule deer I still pull out the 10x. If I had to stick with just one, it would be the 8x. I just use my binos to find animals, and then use a spotter to see detail.

I use 8x56 they have the most light gathering capability to see in low light which is when most bucks and bulls are active either coming from or going to their beds.

I was hunting coyote at night. I think the thermal scope is the best for night coyote hunting. So guys, which is the best scope for night coyote hunting?
e522681

I have a pair of West Marine 7 x 50 with built-in compass that I've used for boating for a few years. I've not been hunting in nearly 40 years, and back then 7 x 35 what what I had used. It sounds like they're not going to be the best for a western hunt, correct?

I also prefer 10x, but I like to sit and glass long range and sitting behind a spotter gives me eye fatigue pretty quickly anymore. I don’t have trouble with them in heavy timber and such, but I’m just used to it I think. Comes down somewhat to personal preference.

I went with 12x only because they gave me better eye relief because of my new glasses. Tried most and went with leupold, and really didn’t noticed any difference between 10x and 12x weight wise in my price range.

I use 8X lots of times. But I have multiple pairs of binos to use but for most hunting I prefer 8X
Yes same here, and I always return to 8x, anything more I go with a spotting scope.
It's a bit like a variable scope, somehow I always end up back on 6x:D
Cheers
Richard

Best investment I made for hunting 12 years ago

I had 10x50 for years. Got a good deal on a pair of 8x42 Vortex. They are great. Smaller and lighter and at the end of the not at much wear and tear on the eyes. I don’t think I’m missing anything with 8x that 10x would do. By the way the 10x are Burris Signature and they cost a bit more than the Vortex. Still have them but they are in the house so I can look at game out the window.

I love my Leica ultravid 8x for western hunting. If you get a decent spotting scope to go along with them, 8x are great.

For over 40 years I kept 2 freezers full and packed my trophy room with deer, antelope, elk, sheep, moose, and a mountain goat plus a bunch of international hunts with my 8x or 9x Nikon pocket binoculars. Then a few years ago I bought a pair of Nikon 10x42 Monarch 5 binos and I figure now I'm set for life.

I personally don't think 8's are enough. I have a pair of 10's I use quite a bit and a pair of 12's I use for both free hand and tripod use (mostly tripod use).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back