PEAX Equipment

80" Buck? Destroy My Field Judging

I think he is probably low 70s based solely on the fact that he looks A LOT like the buck I shot last year and he was 71 3/4

The more antelope I kill the more I realize my judgment isn't very good, haha. But I would agree that he is closer to 14 inches tall. I don't know about mass. Prongs almost look low enough that the second circumference measurement would be above the prong, if thats even possible?

The more antelope I kill the more I realize my judgment isn't very good, haha. But I would agree that he is closer to 14 inches tall. I don't know about mass. Prongs almost look low enough that the second circumference measurement would be above the prong, if thats even possible?
Not really possible bc if the 1st quarter falls in the prong, you take the measurement below the prong. Never seen one like that.

mtmuley: I am going to guess 78 1/2-79 1/2" on yours... but it is tough without more pics. Am I close?

Not really possible bc if the 1st quarter falls in the prong, you take the measurement below the prong. Never seen one like that.
Yeah that sounds right. Been a long time since I scored an antelope. Second quarter measurement is taken directly above the prong if it falls on the prong right?

Thank you all for the great feedback! I love this stuff. Partly because it is so difficult.

npaden that is a beautiful buck!

Buzz your wife's buck is awesome.

Here is the buck that fooled me last year. I thought he was over 80" when I saw him multiple times in the summer. Embarrassed to say I thought he was around 17". He ended up being 15 1/8" long with 5 1/2" prongs. I guess the thin mass made him look longer to me. He scored 77 and change.

Attachments

• DSCF6324.JPG
    DSCF6324.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 133
Here's a live picture of last year's buck. Still looks longer to me than what he really was.

Attachments

• 2018 Buck.jpg
    2018 Buck.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
That’s a huge buck regardless. You’d be a better man than I to not shoot a 77”er.

Were the horns removed before scoring? I expect that that invalidates an official score.

HORN PREPARATION
Shrinkage of horns (pronghorns, goats, etc.) has been a concern of many trophy owners over the years. It is acceptable to remove horns from the skull, clean them, and then have them reset with a bonding substance as long as the horns are not altered in the process. If a bonding substance is used to enhance the horn's circumference, the trophy may be disqualified.

HORN PREPARATION
Shrinkage of horns (pronghorns, goats, etc.) has been a concern of many trophy owners over the years. It is acceptable to remove horns from the skull, clean them, and then have them reset with a bonding substance as long as the horns are not altered in the process. If a bonding substance is used to enhance the horn's circumference, the trophy may be disqualified.

TY for the info.

Thank you all for the great feedback! I love this stuff. Partly because it is so difficult.

npaden that is a beautiful buck!

Buzz your wife's buck is awesome.

Here is the buck that fooled me last year. I thought he was over 80" when I saw him multiple times in the summer. Embarrassed to say I thought he was around 17". He ended up being 15 1/8" long with 5 1/2" prongs. I guess the thin mass made him look longer to me. He scored 77 and change.

Thanks. I would have guessed your last years buck to score higher than it ended up scoring as well. It does look tall.

No pics of last year's buck with other pronghorn. He was a loner.

I did see another similar buck last year. I thought he was very tall but also knew he was very thin and that's why I didn't hunt him. Here are a couple pics of that one with other bucks for comparison.

Attachments

• DSCF5736.JPG
    DSCF5736.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 131
  • DSCF5737.JPG
    DSCF5737.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 131
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members