7x57

The 6.5 is a great caliber. My buddy has a .260 and I think it is one of the nicest shooters that I have ever seen. The 6.5 performs way better than is indicated on paper. The bc is incredible and they are very accurate in all their configurations.

Ben,

You are running plenty fast enough with that 154 gr bullet. I found with an old tang safety Ruger that Velocity, Seating Depth and Bedding are the most important things to overcome first. I've been loading my friends 30-06 for years and it took me a while but found .04 off the lands and a velocity of 2650-2700 with a flat base 150gr bullet works like a charm. You can cover 3 shot groups with a nickle at 100 yards all day long. They shoot deer out to 300 yards with this loads and it leaves them DOA.

My self I'd be working on seating depth and velocity with the powder that's running at 2750 and no pressure signs. That load will handle everything in the lower 48 with ease !

Good Luck !

7x57 was my first big game rifle and now its my sons. Exact combo choc dogs has going on. Great round! Good luck finding the bullet/powder/seating combo that works for your rifle. I've haven't gone over 140 myself but sounds like that 154 should work at the right depth/speed and be killer (no pun intended).

Along the 6.5 lines I have a 26" pre 64 .264 mag that I love but sure miss carrying the featherweight. 125 partitions and 130 scirocco's over 4831 is what I feed it like many other 6.5's on here. Let us know your results!

Ben, I have used the 154-gr. Hornady since the mid-1960s--back when it was simply called the Spire-Point--and it always has been a good performer in 7mm calibers. In my 7 X 57 built on a pre-'64 Model 70 action and Shilen barrel I have used 140-gr. Nosler Partitions and 139-gr. Hornady Spire-Points with absolutely no complaints. My load is 45 grs. of IMR-4320. I realized that your particular rifle doesn't handle the lighter bullets. Hope the 154s work for you. I'd be surprised if they did not.

Ben, I have used the 154-gr. Hornady since the mid-1960s--back when it was simply called the Spire-Point--and it always has been a good performer in 7mm calibers. In my 7 X 57 built on a pre-'64 Model 70 action and Shilen barrel I have used 140-gr. Nosler Partitions and 139-gr. Hornady Spire-Points with absolutely no complaints. My load is 45 grs. of IMR-4320. I realized that your particular rifle doesn't handle the lighter bullets. Hope the 154s work for you. I'd be surprised if they did not.

Well it doesn't like something. Best group was about 3 inches with the 154's and RL 17. I'm going to go back to IMR 4350 and see if I can reproduce the 1.5 inch group and go from there.

Bedding might help some, or I might just wait until next year and get a new barrel on it.

Ben--three inches--yikes! The bullet itself is very good. Get a Lilja barrel put on that 7 X 57 and you will be all set!

I was using 154 grain Hornady interbonds that I got as blems from Midway. We'll see what happens when I switch powders. Bedding, torque, etc should all be fine, it's had 40 rounds through it since coming back from the factory.

I was using 154 grain Hornady interbonds that I got as blems from Midway. We'll see what happens when I switch powders. Bedding, torque, etc should all be fine, it's had 40 rounds through it since coming back from the factory.

I've never shot Interbonds, but I think John Barsness said over on the 24 hour campfire that he has had spotty accuracy with them. Before you give up, you might try another bullet.

I've got sme 175's and some more of the regular hornady spires. It liked the spires, and if I can keep it at about 2750, I think that's good enough.

After you've found a good load, I would slowly build up a pressure point in the forearm using thin pieces of tape. You can usually get some good results without bedding.

I'd just hunt that 1.5" load and call it good. At big game any misses won't be because of the rifle...

That said, I'd also give Partitions a try. I've read where the open base "bumps up" when firing and this can often times negate the downsides of the long throat. FWIW...

Took out my 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57 and did some load testing, and had some interesting results.

I was shooting Barnes 120 TTSXs all seated .050 off the lands (this seems to be a sweet spot for all Barnes).

I shot Varget and H414, I think I started at 42 and ended at 44 with .5 increments with Varget and 49 up to 50 with .5 increments with the 414.

The barnes did not the slower varget loads (2"), but got better as they got faster. They topped out at 2,700ish so I want to keep working up a bit more and see if the accuracy trend continues.

The 414 loads started out right at 2,700 and had a sub moa group, then a 2" horizontal group, then another sub moa group at 50gr.

Both are promising and I need another trip or two to the range, but both seem to like the fast speeds. My goal was 2,800 fps, I think now I can get to 2,850 with them holding tight.

Ben,

I have been shooting a sporterized Mauser since I was a kid. I still have the rifle with the original military barrel. Due to the throat on the 7x57 the Mauser can be tempermental, I shoot the 154 gr Hornady interlock using H414 this is my go to load. Play with the seating depth from Saami COAL to just off the lands.

Hope this helps.

Todd

The old mauser routinely gets me around .9-1.25 inch groups.

I have a 7x57 and use 162gr sst bullets and get .75 in groups with 46gr Win 760.
I think 760 and H414 are the same powder. My velocity averages 2708fps

Well I took the 7mm Mauser out again tonight. Cleaned the bore with foam a couple of times and removed a significant amount of copper, so I was hopeful.

Loads were:
48 grains Reloader 17

5 154 grain Hornady Interlock
1.066 inches 4-shot group, 1 pulled shot about 5 inches right

5 154 grain Hornady Interbond
1.426 inches 3-shot group, 2 flyers opening it up to about 4 inches (my fault, poor shooting)

48 grains - IMR 4350

5 154 grain Hornady Interlock
1.421 inches 4 shot group, 1 pulled 3" low, 3" right

5 154 grain Hornady Interbond
1.292 inches 3 shot group, 2 flyers - warm barrel and a poor shooter

All in all, I think the 154's will work. It likes the Interlocks better than the Interbonds, and at an average velocity of 2697.4 fps, I think that will do fine. I guess I'll keep it. Now to trim up the stock.

I've got RL-15 and some 4320 I'll give a try.

Just happy that I found something that will shoot under 2 inches. I'm half tempted to just call it good and let it go.

I found two lite bullet loads for the 7X57 in my red book. The first is for a 140 gr. Btip: 42.8 grains of IMR 4064 with a win LR primer and Rem case. The second, and I have this one marked with a big red + sign which means it shot exceptionally well is 120 Balistic Tip with 44.5 grains of BLC2 win LR primer and rem case.

Ben, this month's Cabela's shooting flyer has a Rug #1 7x57 w/ an Alex Henry cut foreend, red kick pad, and flip down rear/bead top front sights. Not hard to look at.

Ben, this month's Cabela's shooting flyer has a Rug #1 7x57 w/ an Alex Henry cut foreend, red kick pad, and flip down rear/bead top front sights. Not hard to look at.

Momma say the gun fund is dry for the rest of the year. :D

I'd dearly love to have a #1 in 9.3x74R. Those two are made for each other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back