Yeti GOBOX Collection

7MM08 Popularity

Rooster52

My friend that works at a local sporting goods store said there has been a increasing demand for new rifles chambered for the 7MM08.That caliber is still gaining popularity. I thought that was interesting.More buyers are staying away from rifles chambered in high priced,hard to find ammo and going for the more standard calibers.Very few come in looking for magnum rifles this year.

People are finding out how good the 7-08 is. I was considering going to that caliber, with my pending re-barrel, but decided on .260, only because I have two 7 mags already. If I could have only one rifle, it would be a 7-08.

In the local Wal-Mart there were at least a half dozen sets of 7-08 dies on the shelf.

I bit last year on a MRC X2 in 7mm08 hoping it would become my primary deer/ hog rifle at least for Eastern hunting. All I got done with it last season was getting it sighted in and a few boxes of rounds at my camp range. Definately a sweet shooter at the range and i will let the air out of a few critters this year. I did the magnum thing and still have a 270wby and a 300wby in the safe but I am doubtful they will see much use anytime soon especially since I have a 270 win and several 30-06s as well. I am moving back toward standard calibers as I dont shoot at long enough ranges at big enough critters to see any advantage in the magnums. Funny how you collect up all this iron over the years when I should have been focused on bullets and more hunts.

My guide in New Mexico has twin sons, who both use 7mm-08 for Elk and Mule Deer. They have never had any problem with wishing for a bigger caliber for their hunting needs.

Lots of people around here are buying them for kids to take them through there hunting life.

I have a browning Abolt chambered in the7-08 and love it. I mainly use it for whitetail.

Nice troll. The .308 is a very well proven round, but in no way can be reasonably argued to be demonstrably better than the 7/08.

Only real advantage I can see is it's easier to find free brass laying on the ground at ranges, if one is too lazy to bother with necking down.

Don't know why this seems to have been sidetracked into a debate whether the 308 is any, or at all better, than the 7/08, but the OP is correct. There is an acknowledgement among shooters/hunters/manufacturers that the 7/08 deserves more respect than the past has been fit to provide.

Usually one on the Top List, for some Man, looking for a rifle to introduce a young hunter, or even more insulting a new women to hunting. Question, if I may. If it's a perfectly suitable round for a 'kid' or a 'woman' then why is it not perfectly acceptable for anyone ?????

Moderate recoil, great bullet selection, sufficient power & trajectory to way, waaayyyy out yonder, far beyond what most of need to think about shooting.

I gave up the Magnum anything over 25 yrs ago, my 308 15 yrs ago, and never looked back, never felt I was under-gunned. I just tote my girly Ruger in blissful naive confidence and have a 100% 1st shot kill reason to keep on keeping on.

No experience for me with the 08. Must say though, I don't think any subject has had more time wasted on it than gun calibers.

I've killed bison, elk, deer and antelope with 3 different guns in 7mm-08. All 3 were accurate and effective as well as a pleasure to shoot. Right now I have a new barrel for my TC encore in 7mm-08 that may see some hunting time this year.

7mm08 punch well above their weight

Ive shot a handful of deer with mine ( its my back up rifle ) and nothing has taken more then a few steps with 3 being bang flops
Running the 140 gamekings @2880 standard t3

Thats all the wife and I will be running this year from antelope to elk. Hers is a tikka shooting 140 grain accubonds and mine is a Kimber Montana also shooting 140 grain accubonds.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back