Am I being lied to?

One thing I learned in my younger years when it came to selling guns. This is not an insult it was words of wisdom in my opinion. Custom to the owner is custom to the owner, the word custom doesn't mean a lot to a potential buyer. It's just like a custom vehicle, what you like others may not.

Just something to think about.

For insurance purposes i would value it much greater because value is replacement value. Imagine your house burned and insurance company was cutting you a check.
Then check your policy to see if they calculate depreciation.
Not seeing many rifles on used racks in last six months going for $450.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but depending on the policy and how many firearms you have covered, any single item under $5k per item is considered unscheduled. Scheduled items above 5 or 10k (depending on the policy) require appraisal and documentation. Any items under that threshold , the insured will be declaring the accessories, upgrades, modifications, value. Etc. Just my experience with firearms insurance, ymmv

I'm not disagreeing with you, but depending on the policy and how many firearms you have covered, any single item under $5k per item is considered unscheduled. Scheduled items above 5 or 10k (depending on the policy) require appraisal and documentation. Any items under that threshold , the insured will be declaring the accessories, upgrades, modifications, value. Etc. Just my experience with firearms insurance, ymmv

Agreed, the op should be asking his insurance carrier what information/documentation will be needed for a claim. A used gun dealer will not give a good valuation because it is apples and oranges. The op is not selling his gun to lgs or even trying to sell his gun to a buyer.
He is trying to put a value on it for insurance- which can be replacement cost or what ever the fine print is in the policy.

Gun store salesman is right. In fact, he might be a little high if you weren’t including the scope in that price. There aren’t a lot of people looking for .280 ackleys built on 100 year old actions and cerakoted gray. The trigger is nice but doesn’t add much value. The brake does nothing for the price.

You can find some great deals on other peoples obscure customs.
Yep. My buddy recently bought a beautiful 1903-A3 Springfield with Remington factory made 7mm magnum barrel on a very nicely figured French walnut stock. Bedding, finish, and bluing are great. It had an older quality 3x9 scope (since changed), Buhler safety, and Timney trigger. He paid just $200 at a local gun shop for a real tack driver. I recently saw a newer Sako Finbear 375 H&H in very good condition on the shelf of a Kalispell sporting goods store for $900. Two days later it was gone. For whatever reason people want factory made over custom made, even though most of the new rifles coming out of factories today are crap relatively speaking.

I agree with others on assessing an insurance value. If you don't have receipts, go on line and price the components. Then print off the image of web page for each. For the barrel, request an estimate from maker or gunsmith to replace what you have. I doubt the insurance company would value labor but they should accept new values for replacement components even though the stuff you lost technically was used. That's some consolation.

Last edited:
Back