7mm Rem Mag Bullet Recommendation for Weatherby Vanguard 26" 1-9 1/2 twist

WVmike

I will be diving into the world of reloading here in the next couple of months and I was looking into what bullets to start reloading my 7mm Rem Mag Weatherby Vanguard that has a 26 inch barrel with a 1-9 1/2 twist rate. I was looking into the Nosler Accubond 150 gr initially but I'm still looking for other choices as well. I know what one rifle may like the other may not but if anyone else has a 7 mag with a 1-9 1/2 twist, what does it seem to like or perform the best with?

What's the intended use? Select appropriate bullets for your application, pick 1 or 2, and start working up loads. Currently, bullet and powder availability will play a big role in your selection.

I will be using them primarily for whitetail with elk every other year. I would like to find a round that I can load that I can use for both consistently but they are different animals with regards to size. I also like to shoot from 100 to 500 yards here in WV.

I'd ponder these....

I will be using them primarily for whitetail with elk every other year. I would like to find a round that I can load that I can use for both consistently but they are different animals with regards to size. I also like to shoot from 100 to 500 yards here in WV.
I’ve only loaded 160gr Accubonds and 175gr Partitions so far. I have had exceptional results with both. I purchased some 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped and 150gr Barnes ttsx but I have not loaded either yet, and since the ABs and Partitions shoot so well, I may not. I have the same intended use plus black bear and antelope.

Barnes 139 or 145 LRX worked well for me in the past. This is what I'm using currently with my 7RM, 9.5 twist at 3415 fps. If you go with Hammer, make sure you check the twist rate.

I have been using 160 grain Nosler Partitions in my 7mag for decades for elk, black bear, and mule deer. My rifle loves those bullets and shoots very tight groups when operator error isn't a factor. The Partitions perform wonderfully at all ranges and the need for a second shot or a finishing shot has been exceedingly rare. I have tried the 160 grain Accubonds and I actually shoot slightly tighter groups with those, but I have had issues with bullet performance at closer (within 80 yards) on elk. Fragmentation occurred twice with those at close range, so I gave up on them. For accuracy, flat trajectory, and perhaps most importantly, terminal performance, I can't recommend the 160 grain Partitions highly enough.

Like others have said, I'd have a good look at 150-160gn Accubonds. Don't overlook Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. The 7mm TBT comes in 140gn and 160gn. Im a fan of that bullet. I'd also give the Edge TLR a look. That's a very cool design and Federal makes it in 155gn which would probably be ideal for a 1 in 9.5" barrel.

Lots of good options out there.

My co worker & i are shooting the 150gr ABLR.
Personally, i've shot everything from 120gr varmint bullets through 168gr Berger VLDs through my Rem Mag.

Elk & whitetail with a 7mm Rem Mag. Cool. :)

I like the idea of a 160ish grain bullet loaded to about 3,000 fps. Easy to achieve.

Though I'm a big fan of the Nosler Partition, this year I used the 160 gr Sierra SPBT Game King, loaded to 3050 fps. Took a mule deer buck at about 150 yards. Recovered the bullet from just under the off-side hide. I was impressed with the accuracy, the quick kill, and how nicely the bullet held up.

hgWXWNgl.jpg

I think you're going to enjoy that rifle. The Vanguard usually performs well, and the 7mm RM is an easy cartridge to like. Recoil is quite tolerable, accuracy usually very good. Plenty of suds to handle elk, or pretty much anything else in North America. Let us know if you need any tips on handloading it.

Regards, Guy

Back