PEAX Equipment

7mm PRC released

If I had a magnum length action that I can get 3.5”+ I’d stick with the 7mm Remington or 28 nosler. If I was stuck with a 3.34” action I’d do the prc
Nothing wrong with those cartridges, just short throats. Easy fix if one wants.

I think that makes sense. That's a 243 for me. Thought about switching to a 6mm creedmoor. Too much extra work.

I built a 7 Sherman max a couple years ago. Its basically the same thing, performance wise as a 7 prc, or close enough. It'll be nice to have factory support with a 7 prc. I see the value in that now.
I went all in on a big 30. starting over 20 years ago. Plus, with new powders and bullets, the pedestrian cartridges we shoot can do anything. mtmuley

In grains of water (fired case)
28 Nosler ~ 102 gr
7 LRM ~88 gr
7 Rem Mag ~ 85 gr
7 PRC ~ 83 gr
7 WSM ~ 83 gr
7 Sherman Max ~ 75 gr
7 SAUM ~ 72 gr
284 win ~ 66 gr

Interesting. I thought LRM was bigger but I just looked at it, 300 PRC, and 375 ruger prints and it turns out neither the PRC or the LRM are a straight neck down of the 375r. PRC is around 50ish thou shorter to the shoulder and LRM shoulder is pushed back more yet. I know some of the 300 PRC brass was in the 95-98 grain capacity range.

The 7mm LRM is just the 375 Ruger parent case necked down with no other changes.
As is the .300 PRC, but with the added benefit of a longer throat so longer bullets can be loaded without the base sticking into the powder column. The LRM has less freebore and a standard LA, so less room for the longer bullets.

The 7PRC case length is slightly shorter, with a shorter neck, but same length action and magazine, so more room for the longer bullets without the boat tail being in the powder column.

Interesting. I thought LRM was bigger but I just looked at it, 300 PRC, and 375 ruger prints and it turns out neither the PRC or the LRM are a straight neck down of the 375r. PRC is around 50ish thou shorter to the shoulder and LRM shoulder is pushed back more yet. I know some of the 300 PRC brass was in the 95-98 grain capacity range.
The water capacity can vary quite a bit. Not unheard to get 5 gr difference across different brands of brass. I'd say usually that's pretty extreme but I know my adg brass has always been a gr or 2 lower than Winchester or Hornady. Not really a big deal though imo. I'm not a precision shooter though either.

Last edited:
I went all in on a big 30. starting over 20 years ago. Plus, with new powders and bullets, the pedestrian cartridges we shoot can do anything. mtmuley
Nothing pedestrian about a "big 30". That's a rifle, man.

I don't like brakes and don't like the recoil on light 30s. So I shoot 7s. Shoot them way better. Ymmv

Nothing pedestrian about a "big 30". That's a rifle, man.

I don't like brakes and don't like the recoil on light 30s. So I shoot 7s. Shoot them way better. Ymmv
I get it. No brake on the big. 30 by the way. My pedestrian cartridges are old stand byes. They work well. mtmuley

I got a 7rm sending 168’s @ 3113 and a 28 sending 195’s @ 3090 with a mild load. Getting ready to build a gun for my uncle who helped me with my house. I looked at the 7 prc thinking it might be something interesting. Yawn!

I can't wait for a .30-06 PRC. mtmuley
🤣
Ain’t that the truth!
Pathetic Regurgitation of a Cartridge-PRC
I try and mind my business about what anyone else shoots. Just getting cranky lately listening to all the new wizbang hype around these “new” rounds.
Maybe my BS filter is full?

Who cares? It creates more P-R funding.
Funding all the development of these these new rounds is a good thing. They’re much more efficient than the traditional wildcatters ever could be. Would be great to see something truly different though. Would also like to see funding to continue with the existing rounds we’ve got so we can continue using them. Just feels like a manipulation tactic sometimes when you can’t buy traditional stuff but you can damn sure get the newest reinvention.
It’s a free market and they can sell whatever they want if people wanna buy it. I Just get red ass over the inability to support the traditional stuff. And I realize the traditional stuff was once viewed by people as BS otherwise we’d still be shooting straight walled black powder rounds.

Funding all the development of these these new rounds is a good thing. They’re much more efficient than the traditional wildcatters ever could be. Would be great to see something truly different though. Would also like to see funding to continue with the existing rounds we’ve got so we can continue using them. Just feels like a manipulation tactic sometimes when you can’t buy traditional stuff but you can damn sure get the newest reinvention.
It’s a free market and they can sell whatever they want if people wanna buy it. I Just get red ass over the inability to support the traditional stuff. And I realize the traditional stuff was once viewed by people as BS otherwise we’d still be shooting straight walled black powder rounds.
The 45-70 is still a very viable cartridge.

There isn’t a single prior mainstream 7mm I’m aware of designed around shooting high BC bullets seated appropriately and the associated rifles having appropriate twists.

We can crunch numbers and say the avg hunter won’t notice a difference inside 400 yards or whatever and I’ll agree but it’s still doing something that the other manufacturers slept on. Was hornady supposed to wait until someone else released a product with these obvious improvements before they started playing in this market?

Precision rifle and ballistic geeks have been asking for these things and hornady delivers.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back