MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7mm-08 reloading question

So as powder becomes harder and harder to get mainly the one I use (reloader 19). I'm leaning towards trying some different loads in my gun with a powder that's easier to get right now. I have a 20" barrel with 1-8 twist shooting 139gr Hornady interlock btsp. Anyone got any loads or suggestions for this setup. I've tried 140gr seirra gamekings and swift a-frames with groups i didn't really like. Thinking H380,H4895,or a imr powder might work.
I have a bunch of questions, but most important at this juncture is, what powders do you have onhand?

For your 20" barrel using the 139-140gr weight bullets, i'd choose a faster burning powder.
Varget, RL15, the new RL15.5, IMR 4166, IMR or Accurate 4064, Vithavouri N140, and Alliant PP2000MR.

I think once you go slower burning than say RL16, your gonna be pushing unburnt powder out of your barrel, with the accompaning fireball.

FWIW, I recently picked up a lb of RL-16 and am getting a clean 3000fps with 131gr hammer hunters over 47.1gr of powder.

The difference between the RL-16 and the H4350 (which also shoots great) in how sharp it punches you in the shoulder is quite dramatic actually. Granted, my rifle is 8lbs soaking wet.

Yeah, i noticed a sharper recoil impulse with my 7mm-08AI using RL16 also.
Coming from what powder? I'm suddenly aware that my post above is ambiguous; sorry. I meant that the H4350 hits harder than the RL-16.

Coming from what powder? I'm suddenly aware that my post above is ambiguous; sorry. I meant that the H4350 hits harder than the RL-16.
That's odd, they're very similar powders (I thought.)

The one powder I've noticed a lot more recoil is RL26. That's in my 270, in comparison to H4831, but it is also getting an extra couple hundred fps, so it's understandable.

Most accurate loads for me have been RL17 for bullets around 160g and H380 for those around 140g.

I am new to reloading and yeah been looking for Varget for a bit. Tough powder to find. I did get my hands on some Staball 6.5 so going to work up some 7-08 loads with that. Finding powder is still a tough go, I felt lucky when I was able to find primers. Seeing @misser accuracy with Staball 6.5 I am optimistic.

Stop placing them at your point of aim? Seems like a pain to walk down there and put the target back up in the middle of a group.
Ya one time out I put up 3 thumbtacks .one shot each killed them .then a week later set up one more same loading and killed it

Let's see, did somebody mention Varget? Yep, good stuff. I've also done good things in 7-08 with H4895 and especially Big Game. These days if I'm going to try a new projectile I'd start with Big Game. I've found it to be the fastest and most accurate in 7-08. But really, there's a number of powders you can't go wrong with, and the 7-08 is actually pretty forgiving to load for. It's versitile, but he 3 mentioned are the best in my opinion.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back