Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08 reloading question

Andrewlonghi

So as powder becomes harder and harder to get mainly the one I use (reloader 19). I'm leaning towards trying some different loads in my gun with a powder that's easier to get right now. I have a 20" barrel with 1-8 twist shooting 139gr Hornady interlock btsp. Anyone got any loads or suggestions for this setup. I've tried 140gr seirra gamekings and swift a-frames with groups i didn't really like. Thinking H380,H4895,or a imr powder might work.

Big Game with 140 grain Partitions/Accubonds are traveling 2850fps out of my 20” barrel.

I use Varget for my 120 grain NBTs @3000fps out the same 20” barrel.
I tried varget with 140 gr sierra gamekings and swift A-frames couldn't get a group under 1" at 100 yards.

If every 7-08 shooter on this forum gave their loads, you'd probably see 75% of them using either Varget, or Big Game. H 4895 is also popular. All 3 have worked well for me.
Yeah...I always used reloader 19 and imr 4350 before I had my rifle rebarreled...imr4350 wouldn't group and the reloader 19 did.

Worked up an accurate load with 6.5 staball and 150 corelokts W760 would probably work real good as well. The Varget crazy crowd will probably keep that supply down for awhile.

Just my experience, I spent Months trying to grab a pound of RL-19. Nosler listed it as having the highest velocity with a 140 gr. Turns out it was absolutely pathetic, giving me 200 fps below list from the book with a Max charge.

Varget, or RL-15, has worked predictably very well for both my 308 & 7/08 over a range of bullet weights and Mfg's.

I've learned this lesson. Go to the dance with the girl that dances the best with you.....

Varget shoots both 120s and 140s into tiny groups for my 7mm-08s. Handguns and rifles. With superb velocity.

I don't shoot magnums, everything I have is on the 308 or 30-06 case. In 308 case and a 243, the last shortage the only powder I could find was h414 so got 8# can and tried it. Worked great in my 243! haven't tried in in anything else. I'm an old school powder guy. Say 4831 and I recognize it! Say reloader 25 and I'm clueless. But I have branched out a bit and found beside my classic old powder,s, varget and R-19 worked very well. Well they work if you can find them! But one thing to keep in mind for some reason known only to God, some rifles in a cartridge like one powder and same cartridge in another might not work at all!

In order of preference - Varget, Varget, Varget, H4895, H4350, Varget - oh, did I mention Varget?
If you like Varget, then anytime you’re in a pinch you need to look at BL-C(2), WW748, CFE223, IMR 4895, IMR 4320, N-140, and you really, really, really should pick up some RL-15 and/or N203b. You might should look into those even if you’re not in a pinch.

RL-15 and N203b are almost the same powder(in a way they are the same powder), and they produce results extremely similar to Varget.

IMR4895 is faster burning than the rest mentioned, but it is a very low energy density, single-base powder resulting in it’s charge weights being almost identical the rest in the group. In my experience it’s very stable and consistent. It’s the perfect powder to switch to anytime you have lots of empty space in your case when using Varget.

BL-C(2) and CFE223 also work well anytime you would use Varget but REALLY stand out when you can’t get enough Varget in the case. Being spherical you can fit more weight in the case. Don’t try to compress them. You’ll run into all manner of problems.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back