Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

7mm-08 not just for kids and women…

I personally like to keep my bullet energy a little higher on those longer pokes typically found with Elk hunting (just my opinion). More than one way to skin a cat, I suppose.
Agree on the thicker jacket on the 120, I've seen that photo and cross sectioned some myself...makes that bullet hell for stout.

I get it, going a bit heavier isn't wrong...but IMO/E "energy" is grossly over-valued.

Some hunt, some shoot, some do both...per the photo: elk #1 70 yards, elk #2 230 yards, elk #3 120 yards. All one shot each.

What's the energy like on a .243 Winchester at 368 yards with a 100 grain partition?

I don't know either, but enough apparently to make a partition open up pretty well, and again IMO/E THAT is what matters.

IMG_20201118_131740132.jpg

IMG_20201118_140539876_BURST001_COMP.jpg

I see numerous threads where someone is asking for a rifle/caliber recommendation for a child or a woman and several folks will suggest a 7mm-08. I agree, it is the perfect caliber for women/young hunters as well as grown macho men!

I’ve owned lots of rifles over the last 37 years and many of those have been magnum calibers (.300 WBY, .270 WBY, .300 WSM, 7mm REM Mag.) and recoil doesn’t bother me, I’m 6’1” and 230lbs.

The one rifle that I keep going back to is my 7mm-08. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and it is still with me today, blued steel with a laminated stock and a Burris Signature 3-9x40 scope. I’ve killed lots of deer with this rifle from 50 yards to over 300 yards. In fact, I love this rifle/cartridge so much that last year I purchased another one in the HS Precision version.

With a 120 grain TTSX or 120 grain Hammer I’m good for anything from whitetails to moose. Guess my other rifles will be collecting dust.

Don't overlook the "original" 7mm08, the 7X57. that when loaded in a modern action equals the 7X55 (7mm08). My go to eastern whitetail rifle is a 7X57 I built in 1977 on a pre 64 win action with MacMillan stock and Shilen light taper barrel. With scope it weighs 6.75lbs and even with a light rifle the recoil is negligible. Loaned it to a lady friend last year and she killed her first bull, one shot at 190yds.

My first hunting rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag because I listened to a well known celebrity hunter (who obviously knows a lot more than I do about hunting) when choosing a caliber. I had to resort to a muzzle break to tame the beast. Of course, everyone at the range hates the guy with a muzzle break. Fast forward 7 years and I'm looking to get a new rifle in 6mm Creedmor or a 7mm-08. I know they will kill anything with a well placed shot and my 7mm rem mag will be sold. Now, I just have to wait for the rifle I want to hit the shelves because the pickings are still pretty slim.

Back