7mm-08 not just for kids and women…

Actually, i did my first 600 yard F-Open match with my 7mm-08.
I'm waiting on the stock builder for my short range bench rest 250 Savage build.
Have plans on a long range 7mm-08 build centered around the 160gr Sierra Tipped MatchKing.

One guy i shoot with took his 7mm-08 out to a mile, recently.

Well i bought a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 in 7mm08 just a week ago because of the low recoil and its a great deer hunting caliber !!!
I couldn't agree more. I started with 30-06, them 7mm Rem Mag, .243 and then a 7mm-08. Still have the others and still shoot the 7mm Rem Mag for elk, but the 7mm-08 is the go to for everything else. I have three now, one Rem 700 (son's rifle and an A Bolt, daughter's rifle. I just bought an X bolt in same caliber for myself and gave the A bolt to my daughter. I shoot 150gr TSX and TTSX that I have reloaded over the years. All three guns love these loads and they have killed everything they have been shot at in, with no follow up shots. I will be chasing Antelope and Mule deer with them as well. These 7mm-08s have taken at least 30 deer in the last decade and all have gone clean through ribs and shoulders. Deadly guns, very light and limited recoil. The latest gun came with a muzzle break and kicks like .243. What's not to love. By the way, I'm 6'4" and weigh nearly an eighth of ton, so recoil is not something I worry much about. But these guns are fun to shoot and easy to carry.

My primary deer rifle Rem 700 in 270 developed an accuracy issue this year due to copper fouling so I used my back up rifle which is a MRC 7mm08. I bought the 7mm08
but was disappointed at the weight so it took a back seat to the 700. I have developed a new appreciation for the 7mm08 After hunting with it this year. I plan to hunt with the 7mm08 on my Alabama rut hunt in Jan and Feb.

Started with it when it was a wildcat round, switched kids youth ranger to a 7-08 instead of a 243. Better outcome for shots that may not always be the best placed

I see numerous threads where someone is asking for a rifle/caliber recommendation for a child or a woman and several folks will suggest a 7mm-08. I agree, it is the perfect caliber for women/young hunters as well as grown macho men!

I’ve owned lots of rifles over the last 37 years and many of those have been magnum calibers (.300 WBY, .270 WBY, .300 WSM, 7mm REM Mag.) and recoil doesn’t bother me, I’m 6’1” and 230lbs.

The one rifle that I keep going back to is my 7mm-08. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and it is still with me today, blued steel with a laminated stock and a Burris Signature 3-9x40 scope. I’ve killed lots of deer with this rifle from 50 yards to over 300 yards. In fact, I love this rifle/cartridge so much that last year I purchased another one in the HS Precision version.

With a 120 grain TTSX or 120 grain Hammer I’m good for anything from whitetails to moose. Guess my other rifles will be collecting dust.

That a Mountain SS on the left?

CC6EE826-C12F-4BBB-971A-AF43573D7811_1_201_a.jpeg

I hunt whitetails back in West Virginia and Missouri with a TC Encore in 7mm-08. That round is serious deer medicine! I love that setup. Lightweight and super accurate. I have a VX3HD 4.5-14x40 on it and it shoots awesome. Great round, bucks the wind good and is devastating on deer.

blacksheep

Thoughts on the 120 grain ttsx for 7mm08 for elk/dder? Should I bump up the grain? In process of buying a rifle. Lots of ammo for sale right now in 120 grain copper

Thoughts on the 120 grain ttsx for 7mm08 for elk/dder? Should I bump up the grain? In process of buying a rifle. Lots of ammo for sale right now in 120 grain copper
I use Nosler 120 grain BT and all the deer I've shot never went more than 30 yards. That being said, I do like to keep the shots fairly close. Id bump it up to 140 grain for elk.

I use Nosler 120 grain BT and all the deer I've shot never went more than 30 yards. That being said, I do like to keep the shots fairly close. Id bump it up to 140 grain for elk.
Why?

The 120 NBT works fine on elk....seen it.

1014161802c.jpg

IMG952438.jpg

24838.jpeg

I saw this picture a few years ago and it helped explain, to me, why so many people are impressed with the performance of that .284 120 grain ballistic tip. The one on the right is a 120 nbt. The one next to it is a 150 nbt. You can see that the jacket is pretty stout on that 120, even out at the tip. I would imagine that really helps it hold together and penetrate.nbt.png

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back