Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7mm-08 load data on the slow side

williaada

working on tying to build up a load for my 7mm-08 using 140gr AB with BR2 primers

Varget
41gr 2645fps
41.5 2693
41.8 2718
42.0 2752

Big Game
45gr 2590
45.5 2619
47.3 2716

Remington accutip stock 139- 2805

Any reason why these loads seem slow compared to the reload data posted?

Your Varget data pretty much falls in line with what I'm getting. I get 2760 fps with 42.5 gr. out of a 22" barrel.

As stated on your Rokslide post...lots of variables dictate velocity for a load like barrel length, distance to chronograph, and some rifles tend to be "faster". Just because they don't match what you're seeing in a book or on Nosler's website doesn't mean they're wrong.

As stated on your Rokslide post...lots of variables dictate velocity for a load like barrel length, distance to chronograph, and some rifles tend to be "faster". Just because they don't match what you're seeing in a book or on Nosler's website doesn't mean they're wrong.
I asked on here as well because at one point it was known as the 7mm-08 place.

Thanks this makes feel better as a newbie on the reloading.

You have to realize that the manufacturers have a specific gun they use for testing in a very specific environment.

The chances you or anyone else has close to those conditions is more for Spock to calculate the odds of.

So I get the “read a manual” crowd…

It just strikes me as irritating because even changes between editions can have major load changes as well as manufacturers.

So you have to use some critical thinking skills and learn how to read pressure signs.

<<<< sits back with a rye and a cigar to watch the shit storm come from that comment.

I've found buying the reloading magazines to be very handy. They always have load data in the back and usually list the barrel length of the test gun so you know what it was and can take that into account

But the by the gun thing is very true. My 7mm shoots a hair over the books published velocity a half grain under max powder charge

Personally, I'd worry more with accuracy than velocity.

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI with factory 22" sporter barrel with 140gr bullets.
RL17 was speed king at 2,916fps. Accuracy just around an inch for 5 shots.
Powder of choice was Alliant PP2000MR @ 2,832fps.
5 shots at .56" average.
But the kicker was ES-6, SD-2.

When doing load development I don't bring the Chrono.
I only use it after to get a baseline velocity for drops at distance. And I true the velocity in my ballistics calculator by what the target is telling me.

Lol. I read that all the time. I’ve never had any issues having both speed and accuracy. But whatever makes you happy, I guess.

I don’t do load development without a chrono. Never saw the point of not using one when doing so. Especially, you you’re gonna use one later. Lol

And I true the velocity in my ballistics calculator by what the target is telling me.
This. ☝️
Even if I get my speed from my chrono, I always go back in and have the ballistics app “correct” the velocity according to the real world drops from shooting groups at distance. I’ve had some significant differences.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd worry more with accuracy than velocity.

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI with factory 22" sporter barrel with 140gr bullets.
RL17 was speed king at 2,916fps. Accuracy just around an inch for 5 shots.
Powder of choice was Alliant PP2000MR @ 2,832fps.
5 shots at .56" average.
But the kicker was ES-6, SD-2.

When doing load development I don't bring the Chrono.
I only use it after to get a baseline velocity for drops at distance. And I true the velocity in my ballistics calculator by what the target is telling me.
I can't imagine doing serious reloading and not having the chrono there, its a big piece of data that you're not taking advantage of. Its even more rewarding when you get accuracy and velocity at the same time, really its the main point of reloading IMHO.

I can't imagine doing serious reloading and not having the chrono there, its a big piece of data that you're not taking advantage of. Its even more rewarding when you get accuracy and velocity at the same time, really its the main point of reloading IMHO.
Yep. Chrono will tell you if things are going wrong also. Why burn barrel without it? mtmuley

Just for reference, I get 2785 with 140 grain E-tips and Big Game. 47.5 grains, 2.8" and a 22.4" barrel. Are you using the same OAL as the load data?

I load for three 7mm-08 bolt guns. One of them does not like the AB but loves the interbond. I’m not overly concerned with velocity in this cartridge unless I’m try8ng to maintain a minimal speed downrange for say a Barnes tTSX. I load primarily IMR4350 (got a bunch of it as Covid kicked in), BG and varget. In my rifles the best groups are easy to obtain in mid charge weights. As I push the loads up I find I must reduce COAL. I guess Ive changed over time what my expectations are. Best groups are more important to me than velocity these days. I live and hunt in the AZ pine/fir mountains for elk and mule deer but do not have to take shots over maybe 250 yards.

I have tried 47.5g of BG with the accubond and it was not as accurate as 47g. no pressure issues.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back