Caribou Gear Tarp

7 PRC

Would you be more agreeable to long-throat, fast twist 7WSM? 🙂

I don’t shoot many factory rifles anymore so I guess my point of view is skewed. If someone is only going to shoot factory guns then yes it’s better than a 7WSM. If you’re getting a custom barrel you can just have a 7WSM or 7SAUM throated however long you want, on whatever twist barrel you want.
different strokes different folks.

Lots of cartridge overlap but the improvements in manufacturing is driving the redesigns of cartridges.
The 7 prc duplicates a bunch of older cartridges but the modern machining can cull off those tolerances that negate accuracy.
Take the 300wsm and the 300h and h.
Nearly the exact same capacity but chamber reamers from 1909 versus 2009 are different.

This will officially kill the 7 SAUM and WSM. Brass and ammo are unobtanium right now. A factory supported high performance 7mm capable of launching high BC ammo with properly twisted barrel will be hard compete with.

Hopefully this one won’t have a sizing problem like the other PRCs.
It is an interesting case and should gain popularity I suspect especially if manufacturers twist their rifles fast.

Hopefully this one won’t have a sizing problem like the other PRCs.
It is an interesting case and should gain popularity I suspect especially if manufacturers twist their rifles fast.
I just bought a 6.5 prc what kind of sizing issues are there?

I just bought a 6.5 prc what kind of sizing issues are there?
The base diameter is to small and the sizing die can’t resize it. Creates what is called a clicker after a few firings. It also might not be an issue if the factory chamber is cut sloppy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFS
I’ve been impressed with the 6.5 prc. I would certainly consider a 7 prc. Just some loads I threw together and all shot well 150 smk top, 140 vld right, and 140 game king bottom. 100 yards. It shoots the 156 Berger as well. Factory rifle. 214DE466-5CFA-4082-A02F-23B4F47E2690.jpeg

This will officially kill the 7 SAUM and WSM. Brass and ammo are unobtanium right now. A factory supported high performance 7mm capable of launching high BC ammo with properly twisted barrel will be hard compete with.

The way hornady supports their cartridges you are correct. They market the shit out of them.

I’ve literally never had a bullet failure with a good shot. And I’ve used the ones that you shouldn’t.
Edit** maybe I shouldn’t have said that.

Would you be more agreeable to long-throat, fast twist 7WSM? 🙂

I don’t shoot many factory rifles anymore so I guess my point of view is skewed. If someone is only going to shoot factory guns then yes it’s better than a 7WSM. If you’re getting a custom barrel you can just have a 7WSM or 7SAUM throated however long you want, on whatever twist barrel you want.

The specs say it out shoots both, but the SAUM is close. The SAUM is amazing, but good luck finding a factory rifle or ammo. The wsm has some poop too, but you can’t shoot heavier bullets. It’s also lung shot. Back Fire - 7 prc

Lots of cartridge overlap but the improvements in manufacturing is driving the redesigns of cartridges.
The 7 prc duplicates a bunch of older cartridges but the modern machining can cull off those tolerances that negate accuracy.
Take the 300wsm and the 300h and h.
Nearly the exact same capacity but chamber reamers from 1909 versus 2009 are different.

Yes, and advancements in powder technology has really improved. Long thin columns of powder burn different than short fat ones as I’m sure we all know. String out a single line of 50 grains of your preferred explosive, and then create 10 strings of 5 all touching.l, is their an effect.

I suppose quite a few great cartridges would be great with just a change in twist rate. Selling rifles makes more sense for the bottom line. The PRC line is here to stay imo, hopefully since I bought a 6.5. No complaints so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back