7-08 / Big Game

You need to do an actual ladder test on paper, with no chrono, with your Tikka .308Win using the powder and bullet combination that’s been trying to shoot. Start a few grains under, and if you can do it without going overpressure, go a little over. Use .3-.4gr increments on your powder. If you don’t have a really high powered scope, then set up your spotter beside you on the bench. Burn a couple down range to warm up your barrel and make sure it’s properly fouled rather than squeaky clean before you start. Have a blank target on the bench next to you and draw your hits on the target as you shoot. Write powder charges and shot number next to each drawn hole.

You’ve posted groups from it a few times that looked like it’s an accurate gun with accurate bullets that’s probably just running the exact wrong velocity.

Not sure I really "need" to. What I'm doing works. I get bored and want to learn new things, so I will probably try it at some point.

Last edited:
Not sure I really "need" to. What I'm doing works. I get bored and want to learn new things, so I will probably try it at some point.
Well, sure it’s shooting more than good enough to hunt with, but the groups I’ve seen suggest that the vertical could equal the horizontal with minimal effort. It’s begging to shoot smaller groups.

A lot of groups that get posted are in the range that suggest a mediocre rifle or mediocre components and loads. An awful lot of guns these days will shoot 3/4-1MOA if you’re using decent components. It takes a better gun than that to actually benefit much from tuning a load. The groups your getting from your .308 look like they would actually benefit from tuning. The fact that it isn’t really needed for you to be effective with it is just because you don’t really NEED .5MOA or better gun to hunt with...but it is nice.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back