Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

6 x 42 fixed scope

Europe

for a 30-06 rifle

we looked at several but in narrowing it down

can anyone tell me what one would receive for the extra money it would cost to buy an S & B instead of a Leupold. S & B has a bit larger FOV at 100 and maybe better light, but not that much better IMHO.

Leaning toward Leupold, but as long as I am here, any other fixed scopes on the market that anyone would like to recommend for general hunting with a 30-06

thank you

Usually it's easy for me to compute the bang for buck on glass that's a third of an alpha price point...and I've had the FX3 Fixed Leupold...very good glass.

But a Schmidt & Bender is what it is...and worth the dough disparity IMO.

I've been using a meopta Artemis 6x42 on my .308 for a few months and I'm very impressed with the glass. A huge improvement over the Nikon variable it replaced. Meopta has some different reticle options as well. It is heavier that the Leuopld.

Sometimes you have to look through the scope outside to compare. There can be disparity in the production so your buddy's scope may "look" different even if buy the same model. I like fixed to save weight if shots are expected to be under 200 yards. If are shooting beyond 200 yards then I like a variable. Just my preference as someone who uses fixed scope back on the farm in the Midwest but variables out West.

My priority when budgeting was a thing was put the money where I used the item the most to be successful on a hunt. Great boots, good clothes that can keep me warm and mostly dry, predictably accurate shooing rifle, best binoculars I could afford, solid spotting scope and good scope. On a hunt our West I spend more time with my binos than the spotter while my time using the scope is usually measured in minutes. I am using the binos to cover the sides of ridges or patches of sage. The spotter is when spot something but not able to quite tell what is or how big. The scope is to acquire target and pull trigger.

The leupold fx3 6x42 will be more than bright enough at dusk for hunting. But if you have the cash the S&B is a nice scope

SWFA fixed 6x is a great scope. I have two of them and three 10x. I have used them at ranges to 430 yards to kill game and at last light. They are hard to beat at a $300 normal price tag and even cheaper, when they have a sale. Some people whine about them being a bit heavy, but there is no free lunch. They are built like a tank.

Reactions: Guy
Europe if you have not purchased your scope yet you can probably guess the one I would tell you to get. It would be the Leupold 6x42mm scope. I love that scope and that is what is on my 6mm Remington. My 30-06 has a fixed 4x scope, but I do prefer the fixed 6x. It still shoots wonderfully, but I think it's a good fit for the 30-06. If it were me I might also see about getting of of these with their LR dots that they will set up specifically for your load that you would be using. I think it's a great idea. I do wish that the dot system had a narrowing hash mark like their scopes with the B&C reticle in them. I think it makes a more precise aiming point.

I’ve got an FX3 on a Remington Model 7 .308 that’s seen a ton of use. It’s very good glass and very rugged. We can legally hunt until one hour after legal sunset, so I looked at every fixed 6x42 I could get my hands on including S&B, Khales, and Zeiss. The European glass was brighter during those last few minutes of legal light, but not enough to justify the additional expense IMO.

I do most of my hunting with 6x42 & 6x36 Leupold scopes. They've worked out very well for me.

Last year I decided to try the SWFA 6x, and wow, what a great scope, particularly for the money. It's on my 308 Win and has worked great so far.

Haven't ever tried the S&B scope.

Regards, Guy

thank you so much gentlemen

lope hunter, thank you

twisted sage, a friend of ours who lives in VA, LOVES the meopta

FLS I felt the same way unless your hunting Europe or Leopard in Africa, which this particular scope will not be doing.

sbhooper and Guy. We did look at them. they are a tank for sure and the fov is more than S & B------maybe

Ken, Schaaf, Brockel. I agree. We will see which way this goes but if it is left up to me 100% then the S & B will probably be it and not just because of the light transmission at twilight and larger FOV, but that as well.

still using that 6 mm Rem (-: yes I did know what you would say (-: someone recently had a loss in their family and I thought of you. I will catch up to you when I get home.

Guy, are you headed back to Alaska soon ?

Last edited:
Europe - no - I don't have any return trips to Alaska planned. Was there last September, fly fishing the silver run. And of course in 2017 for the bear hunt.

For the past 20 years I've been going every two or three years to fly fish that silver salmon run, but taking a year or two off from that. I think last fall was Dad's last trip - he's in his 90's and had a pretty tough time with the trip last time. Enjoyed the fishing, but was exhausted. So... I don't think he'll be going back at all. He made it almost every year for 20 years, but I think that's done now. And I can't say that I really want to go fishing on "our" river, without him.

I'll get back to Alaska again someday, but it might be a few years.

Regards, Guy

I think last fall was Dad's last trip - he's in his 90's and had a pretty tough time with the trip last time. Enjoyed the fishing, but was exhausted. So... I don't think he'll be going back at all. He made it almost every year for 20 years, but I think that's done now. And I can't say that I really want to go fishing on "our" river, without him.

Regards, Guy

Guy, what a beautiful statement and sentiment. I can relate, as I did pretty well until last year. And I still go in spurts and for a short time. I "want" to go but then I get tired or sore and need to back to a comfortable place. Your dad is even older than I am --my hats off to him for going fishing in Alaska with you in the last couple of years. Maybe he can still go with you in your jeep up to a stream in your local mountains, hope so. thanks Guy

Europe,
I could almost see the logic of a fixed 4 power scope.
Not so much a fixed 6 power.
When i had bought my 7mm Rem Mag it came with a 6-18 power scope on it.
On 6 power, when the deer made a sudden appearance at 30ft, i had no shot.
Couldn't see the deer for the fur.

I do most of my hunting with 6x42 & 6x36 Leupold scopes. They've worked out very well for me.

Last year I decided to try the SWFA 6x, and wow, what a great scope, particularly for the money. It's on my 308 Win and has worked great so far.

Haven't ever tried the S&B scope.

Regards, Guy
I have one on my Ruger American .308 and it is fantastic. Deer hate it.

Here is an option people like.

I have never owned one, but like I said, plenty of folks like them.

I have SWFA(heavy), had Leupold(heavy duplex is stupid). Both great scopes. The Weaver comes in 4X as well that I really like the idea of.

Sometimes I think I'm older and wiser than the OP:D

I have compared both Leupold and the S&B side by side (when guiding hunters in the UK) and at last light the S&B has the edge without question, but in the UK we can shoot one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset so in that situation I would go with the extra cost in purchasing a S&B, having said that the S&B costs a less in the UK than in the US.

Leupold is an excellent scope, and has excellent glass, so with some states reduced shooting hours compared to the UK I would go with a Leupold fixed scope.

I am also mindful that Leupold is a big sponsor of Randy so in this situation they definitely get my vote.

Cheers

Richard

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back