PEAX Equipment

6.5X300WSM Results

danr55

OK ya'll here's what I've worked up for the upcoming sheep hunt for this rig.

It's shooting 125 Nosler Partition on top of a maximum load of H-4831SC. The average velocity for 3 groups of 5 shots each is 3445 fps, with group sized that average .375. It seems like this will be a keeper afterall. :cool:

I've been gone for a while, Dan. What action and barrel you got for this thing? It does sound like a keeper! That velocity is a bit higher than I get with my .264 Win Mag. 125 gr. partitions scoot along out of a 24" barrel at around 3,380 fps.

Nodak, I'm shooting a Van Horne barrel that's 24 inches long. It's built on an old L61R Action that started life as a 338 win mag. :cool:

HEY WHATS THIS...YOU WORKING ON YOUR RIFLE AND I DONT HAVE MINE BACK HOME YET....WHAT GIVES?:D

You should be getting mail this saturday or monday.

If you could just load me one shell and bring it and the gun to texas for the hunt please!

I wonder how the 107gr MatchKings would do out of that thing for varmints??? :D Sounds like a great result on a project. Do you think you could get those numbers out of a short action????

Jason, For the hunt, there will be ammo. I promise. I got mail yesterday by the way.

1Pointer, I don't know how they would perform. They would probably come apart shortly after exiting the muzzle.

Since the short action is a lot stiffer than a long action, I would think that accuracy would be better and using the same barrel would probably get the same velocities.

I found something out today though. I was shooting up some 140 grain loads that were not too accurate at 100 yards. They grouped at about 4 inches. Well I shot at a target at 700 yards and they still grouped about 4 inches. Now that's a mystery. :cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-10-2002 14:41: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Are you able to get those to feed from the magazine?? I've heard some have worries about feeding problems with the WSM based cartridges?

I'm thinking that after I get my varminter, which I'm thinking a .223AI will be the choice, either a 6.5 or .257 WSM would be great complement to the .338 and round out my battery....for now!!!

Back